cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get my defective brand new Hub 5 replaced?

Mark-Guildford
On our wavelength

On 12th November I received an e-mail from Virgin Media saying that I could upgrade my current SuperHub 3 to the new Hub 5.  Nowhere in the e-mail did it state that this is still currently a trial, and that the device is not fully released yet.  As the new Hub 5 has wifi 6, I thought I'd give it a try.  I thought it might enable me at last to get rid of a standalone wireless router, which I have had to use through 3 successive versions of SuperHubs, due to the absolutely appalling wifi of every single SuperHub I've used over the past 10 years with Virgin Media.

I received my new Hub 5 as promised this Monday, 29th November.  I went through all the procedures to activate it, plug it in, connect everything up, turn it on, and wait, and wait and wait. All I was getting was a fast blinking white light, and no internet. I called Virgin Media.  They advised me to reboot it, do a pinhole reset etc.  Still no luck.  So in the end, they agreed to send out an Engineer next day, if I signed up to the HomeWorks package for an additional £9.99 per month (otherwise the next available engineer visit wasn't for 2 days).  So the engineer turned up on Tuesday morning.  As soon as he saw the Hub 5 with the fast white blinking light, he said the hub was dead. He said he had seen another one like that, and there's nothing can be done with it, apart from replace it.  He said that as it's a brand new device, not all of the engineers have spare ones in their vans, and he didn't have one.  He tried calling a local colleague, without success.  He tested my line, and it was all OK.  So in the end he said he would go to the Guildford depot (about 20 minutes drive away) and pick up another one, and that somebody would be back within about an hour to replace it.  And that's the last I heard from anybody, 3 days ago!!

After spending all day without any internet, I eventually called Virgin Media again, and the lady very kindly reactivated my old SuperHub 3, which has been working fine since then.  But I still have a dead Hub 5 at home, and nobody has contacted me.

So this morning I called Virgin Media again.  The person I spoke to said that because the Hub 5 is still on trial, there's nothing he could do!  Literally nothing!  He said he couldn't even organize a technician to come out and replace it !!!! He said that as it's still a trial, there should have been a dedicated phone number in the e-mail which I received about this "trial".  But I double-checked, and there was no phone number in that e-mail or any other e-mail.

Please can you confirm what I need to do to get my defective brand new Hub 5 replaced by one which actually works?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Akua_A,

Yes, my issue is fixed.  The Virgin Media technician came on time this morning, and replaced my defective Hub 5.  He waited until the new device was fully up and running before he left.  This time, everything went very smoothly. 

I'm now at last using a Virgin Media Hub in wireless router mode, rather than modem mode!  It has been working fine all day.  I'm hoping that it will continue like this!

Thanks for your help resolving this issue for me.  Please feel free to mark this case as resolved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

DavidJWalker
Well-informed
the hub 5 is on trial on low speed connections but if they ran out of hub 5's becuse of low on chipsets they have this on order when it comes back in they can't do anything you can ask them to order you one if there Engineers said your line is ok and ask for a self install again.

PS they use hub 5 with Gig connections so they have to keep some in stock for that.

keep on ring them up but if its trial for other connections like yours if they said they can't do anything at this point you can wait for it when it comes out of Trial that can be few mouths you can ask them when it comes out trial they maybe have a idea when or any mods on here can comfim the end of trial date.

if the Engineers say hub 5 is low stocked they can't do it and no spaces in there vans it can be low in depot That is maybe the reason they did not come back

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Mark-Guildford

Thanks for posting. Apologies for the issues with the Hub 5.

I've reached out to a contact now regarding this and will be in touch asap.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you agreed to that Homeworks scheme,  cancel it right away.  They should not be selling it as an answer to problems of their own making.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I did cancel the HomeWorks. It’s very poor that when the hardware which was sent to me didn’t work at all, that it seemed quite OK to Virgin to make me wait 2 days for an engineer to come out to fix it, but I could have somebody come out within 24 hours if I was prepared to pay extra.

Sorry to hear that you have had this experience, Mark-Guildford,

Have you been able to get this sorted since your post? There is a limited release on the Hub 5, however if you have one then we should be providing support as with any other hub. I should be able to set up a swap or delivery from here. Let me know if you still need help.

Cheers,

Corey C

Hello Corey,

I still didn’t hear anything from anybody yet. If you could send me a replacement Hub 5, that would be great.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you for your response @Mark-Guildford.

In this case, I have sent you a private message regarding this. Please lookout for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can. 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Mark-Guildford,

Please let us know how your appointment went and if you need any further help 🙂

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Akua_A,

Yes, my issue is fixed.  The Virgin Media technician came on time this morning, and replaced my defective Hub 5.  He waited until the new device was fully up and running before he left.  This time, everything went very smoothly. 

I'm now at last using a Virgin Media Hub in wireless router mode, rather than modem mode!  It has been working fine all day.  I'm hoping that it will continue like this!

Thanks for your help resolving this issue for me.  Please feel free to mark this case as resolved.