Menu
Highlighted
jonoc33
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

House purchase quandary

Hi all,

Appreciate if anyone can help!  We're looking to move house and have found a nice property that we'd like to put an offer on.

However the issue is whether Virgin can supply their service here.  It's kind of a showstopper if they can't as BT and Sky can only offer a basic service here.  The street is cabled and most houses seem to have it.  Virgin's website says the postcode/house number can be supplied.  All good so far!

However!  The house we're looking to purchase is right at the end of the cul-de-sac and set back a little.  It's never been supplied by VM or Telewest before (as far as I've been able to find out).

After having a good look today, I can't see anywhere outside where there would be an access point for Virgin to connect the house up to.  There's no pavement here and my gut feeling is Telewest (who originally cabled the street 25-odd years ago) didn't bother cabling all the way up to this house due to its position.  To do this they would have either had to dig across the neighbour's garden and drive, or across the road from opposite.  There's no evidence of either.  

Is there any way I could find out definitively if Virgin could supply this house before I commit to purchase?  My suspicion is they won't be able to unfortunately.  It'd be a disaster if we bought the house and then found we couldn't get any reliable broadband.  Its essential for my job.

I wouldn't mind paying for an engineer to come out and check if this is possible.

Many thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: House purchase quandary

@jonoc33 wrote:

Its essential for my job.

Maybe applying for a Business account and contract would help.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
jonoc33
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Might not be a bad idea, I should actually have this anyway due to my circumstances.  I've never had an issue in 12+ years where I am now so never considered I needed a better SLA. 

Would Virgin be more willing to dig up the road if needs be for a business customer?

As a side note - why is Virgin business fibre pretty much the same (or cheaper) than home fibre?  Am I missing something?!!

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

it's essentially the same, but it's the different support and SLAs you're paying for.
i doubt they'd be more willing to dig up anything for a single property installs - be it residential or business.
0 Kudos