cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Move resulted in being cut off and removed from Virgin Media

joejoewalters
Tuning in

We requested a home move last week, the quick start kit was supposed to turn up last Sunday but never did, we were told our new connection was going to be active anyway so I installed the existing hub we brought with us and everything worked.

Today I woke up to find that the internet had gone, logging in to my account I found this message:

"You're not with Virgin Media anymore
If there's any information you want to grab from your account, you have 90 days from your disconnection date to do so. Please make sure you retrieve all your important emails and files before this time."

What is going on? Why have I been cut off? I requested a house move, not to leave ..

Then I got a message saying my kit needed to be returned otherwise I'd be charged.

Anyone able to help?

11 REPLIES 11

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

will flag the thread - hopefully staff can help but you are best to ring the home move people

my guess is that there are 2 issues 

1 - they have closed down your old account and thats what is showing - that would remove your old hub mac addy from the system so it would stop working

2 - the new account has not been set up which means the new kit was not sent

speak to the home move number - they may be able to add your old router back to the account and get things up and running

Tony.
Sacked VIP

joejoewalters
Tuning in

It turns out that my auto-installation date was scheduled 5 days later than the date I was told. Why there is no overlap I don't know. Turns out I will be double charged for a month too + £20 for this 5 day lack of internet due to the transfer charge which quite frankly is like paying to be kicked in the unmentionables.

Fingers crossed that it will actually activate tomorrow, surely on house moves Virgin must realise that it's unacceptable to be given a date and not keep it, then to be double charged for the old property and the new.

Joe  

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @joejoewalters 

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with getting this all sorted.

Regarding the charges, as a standard, the first payment for every customers is a double bill as well as the activation fee. 

Have you raised a complaint regarding this situation? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

Seems odd to be double charged for a continuation of service from my old home. Especially when there is a break in service between and already paying a £20 transfer fee for the privilege of not having any broadband on the date given.

But if it's in the contract to be double charged for a home move + £20 then there isn't much I can do but pay for it. Doesn't exactly warm me to continuing to use the service though if that's how existing customers are charged. 

Latest update:

- Auto Installation date is 5 days later than was told.
- Received message saying a box was being sent to my old home for me to return the equipment I was told to bring with me otherwise I'll be charged.
- Getting double charged for continuation of service to my new home + £20 for moving fee .. Surely the moving fee should be the moving fee?
- Hopefully tomorrow I'll have internet again but I'm not holding my breath there won't be some other drama.
- Home moves with Virgin seem to be chaotic at best and disjointed.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me. 

It sounds to me as though there is a little more going on than first anticipated. 

I am going to pop you over a PM so that I can get some account information.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Update:

- Still no internet
- Old account was closed with my S/N for my router still on it, wasn't moved to my new account.
- Has allegedly been moved to my new account but have to wait another 24 hours for it to activate (if it even does)
- Spent an hour on the phone to 2 engineers, first one couldn't do anything, second one did the transfer but not holding my breath.

Well now here we have a prime example of dysfunctional and broken systems in play.

Firstly, technically, when you have a contract for services with VM then this is for a particular address for a certain minimum period, not an individual person - hence all of the posts regarding people moving to a location that VM don’t service and complaining that they have to pay early disconnection charges, ‘but it’s not my fault that VM don’t cover that area so why should I pay?’ To which the answer is basically ‘sorry about that, but that’s what you agreed to’.

So firstly, if you move then yes, the existing account and equipment associated with it are closed down and you should return said equipment and pay any early termination fees. That much is ‘sort of’ understandable, BUT if you move to a VM serviced area and are willing to carry on, on the same terms, then they should just create a new account, transfer your details across to it and allow you to take your hub etc, associate it with the new account and consolidate the billing etc.

Well, that’s what should happen but it would appear that VM have a set of backend systems that the Mad Hatter would consider a bit too convoluted and chaotic for his taste.

All I would suggest is that, assuming you want to carry on with VM, you make records of all of the out of pocket expenses you incur, the double-billing issue is a complete fiasco and won’t last two minutes in Court, and then raise a complaint with VM requesting a refund of what you have spent, plus a reasonable amount for the inconvenience. VM will probably ignore it or deny ever receiving it (by the way did I mention the grossly incompetent systems they run?), that’s fine, just wait it out for eight weeks and then take it to CISAS which is the arbitration service for them. You will absolutely win and VM will have to pay up.

joejoewalters
Tuning in

- Still no internet after waiting recommended time.

- no solution to this monumental **bleep** up yet to be found.

- Whatever the engineer allegedly did yesterday didn’t solve it.

- I think my only solution is to cancel my contract under breach of terms and try and get a different provider because clearly no one knows how to solve it.