cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with setting up router with Virgin Media Hub 3.0

ukerekais
Joining in

Hello,

I posted this to the tech support subreddit but didn’t get any responses, I’m hoping somebody has had this issue before and can advise what best to do - if this is the wrong subreddit to post to please let me know!

I had Virgin Media installed in my home a few months ago, the WiFi has a lot of black spots throughout the house so I thought to try with a separate router (as seems to be what a lot of people on here advise).

I put the Hub 3.0 in to modem mode and it rebooted.

I am then using the Netgear Nighthawk app to setup the router with it. The router is turning on all good and the WiFi is working on it.

During the setup process it asks to connect to the modem (Hub 3.0) and it then tests the internet connection between the router and the Hub 3.0. When I get to the connecting to internet page it states that the router can not obtain an internet connection. It advises to reboot the router (which I’ve done numerous times), check the cables are all plugged in correctly (again I ensured everything is plugged in correct). The last thing it asks is if I need a static IP instead or to us PPPoE as it can’t connect to the internet - these parts I am very unsure on what to do and so have not progressed with either of these.

I’ve tested my laptop wired in to the Hub 3.0 when in modem mode and the internet is still connected (able to ping the modem and browse the web successfully ) so I know the Hub 3.0 is working in Modem mode and there is not an issue there.

For some reason the router does not seem to get an internet connection from the Hub 3.0.

Hoping anybody can help or best advise! Many thanks!

1 REPLY 1

jem101
Superstar

The trick with getting this to work is to first setup your router with the WAN interface set to be Dynamic IP, or DHCP, connect it to the VM hub and then with nothing else connected to the Hub (in modem mode you can only have your own router connected to it, everything else must go through your router).

Make sure that the VM hub is in modem mode and then power off the hub and power it back on.