cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Broadband dropout most days, and wi-fi network completely disappears

jjoosseepphh
Tuning in

Hello,

My broadband is dropping out most days - my wi-fi and ethernet devices all dropout (the wi-fi network also disappears completely) and I cannot get back online unless I turn the Hub off and on again. It has been like this since I started my contract a month ago.

I have spoken to the helpdesk and done a pinhole reset a couple of times over the last few weeks and it has not helped. They are now monitoring the speed of my connection for 30 days, but I feel that they are missing the point, as my speed is stable (200Mbps) in-between the dropouts.

I am also confused why the wi-fi network would disappear as well. My experience with other routers is that the wi-fi network is still maintained even if the broadband connection is lost, but the Virgin Media Hub seems to cut the wi-fi network each time as well, and I do not see it as a network on any of my devices until after I restart the hub.

I have checked all the cables are tight to the router. Suspiciously, my exterior and interior Virgin boxes are in bad condition (covers cracked and cables hanging out the sides). I am not sure if this is part of the problem.

Please can somebody help?

12 REPLIES 12

From checking the connection and equipment everything appears to be within the ranges and spec we'd expect to see. During the last visit, did the technician run any tests or diagnostics on the Hub itself or just replace the connector's and cabling?

Rob 

Hi Rob,

The technician did tests on the line and optimised the broadband signal strength by fitting an attenuator just before the hub. I’m not sure if he tested the hub itself.

Even if there is an issue with the broadband connection, it seems strange behaviour from the hub to completely lose the WiFi network and make no attempt to reestablish it until the hub is restarted. I would have assumed the WiFi network would be visible regardless of the condition of the broadband connection, and I would still be able to access the hub settings page via LAN or WiFi etc (or connect to other devices on my local network).

Also, the problem is always fixed immediately after I restart the hub. This seems to suggest it is not an external factor like the broadband connection. Shouldn’t the hub try to automatically reconnect at some point even if it lost the internet connection temporarily? It seems to go into a zombie mode where no devices can connect indefinitely, until I restart it.

All the best,

Joe

Correct jjoosseepphh, even if the wireless network had an issue it would still show on the devices but have a comment such as 'unable to obtain IP' or 'connected but without internet' it shouldn't just disappear until the Hub is rebooted. Once the connection is available again it should automatically connect.

I've booked in another visit to get the hub looked at, you can find the details of the visit here, please let me know if this is a problem and I can look to reschedule it although this is the earliest I can get someone out to you and any changes would delay this.

Rob