Menu
lpg
Just joined
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Have virgin contacted my previous provider?

Hi, 

I ordered Virgin broadband to be installed in about 3 weeks time. My previous provider (BT) requires that the new provider give 14 days notice, or I will be liable for charges. How do I find out if this is done without going through a whole call-center hooha? 

Laura

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Have virgin contacted my previous provider?

what services are you transferring?
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi virgin won't do this for you, the onus is on you to cancel and adhere to BTs terms & conditions, however if you do a simple Google search you will find a heading buying virgin media services, click on how do I switch from my current supplier, select cancel my BT services, it will bring up a template letter which you download to PDF, fill it in & send.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

only thing virginmedia could transfer is your telephone number via porting is this the case?, the forum staff should reply in a day or so

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@LittleMick73 wrote:
Hi virgin won't do this for you, the onus is on you to cancel and adhere to BTs terms & conditions, however if you do a simple Google search you will find a heading buying virgin media services, click on how do I switch from my current supplier, select cancel my BT services, it will bring up a template letter which you download to PDF, fill it in & send.Regards Micky

not entirely true.
if you are transferring phone services and taking your number with you then that will initiate your BT services to be closed and moved to Virgin.

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You won't know the VM installation date until it actually happens as there are always potential problems, so it's best not to give any notice to BT until then.

Or do as I did and not transfer my number, cut out the spam calls immediately, no hassle to contact a handful of people about my new landline number.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm doing exactly the same.  In the process of leaving VM, I agonised over whether to port out the number to my new provider or port it out to a VOIP supplier, making it independent of the broadband.  In the end, I decided just to drop it.  Hardly anyone calls me on it (exept the scammers, of course), I make no outbound calls on it and there seems little point in having a landline any more.

Anyone still paying for "anytime calls" on a landline package at £8 a month or more could reflect on the fact that it's now possible to buy an "unlimited calls" mobile phone SIM for £5 a month.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

of course, without a landline you can't use any openreach based ISPs, as they can only be supplied via a phoneline.

so if you leaving virgin who are you moving to that doesn't require you to have a phyiscal landline present?
0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well, there's mobile broadband and that can be had for £16 a month now with unlimited data - no physical landline required.

To be pedantic, by landline I mean "a landline to which a telephone is attached and which is used for voice calls".

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

so you'd have a landline with a phone number, but just no phone plugged in to it.
0 Kudos