cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! - connection/install issues

OldTimer123
Joining in

My wife and myself are both in our mid 70's. Last week we phoned to see if we could get Virgin M100 Broadband. The person we spoke to was told that we had no Virgin connection so wanted to get someone to verify that we could get Broadband at our property. After 45 mins it seemed we now had an account set up and that the starter kit would arrive today (which it did). It soon became obvious though that, for us, it is not a qwik fit as we have no virgin box in our home to plug the cable into. All we have is the normal phone type cable/plug which fits in the back of our Vodafone hub.

We are now trying to contact someone to speak to but all lines have been busy for ages. I was always adamant that we wanted someone to come and see if we were able to get broadband but no one listened to us - just signed us up and sent us a box.

Any help would be appreciated but I suspect we will not be able to use this on the system we have without a Virgin box being installed to our home. Please help as this is a nightmare for us. Thank you.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have you ever had a connection in the distant past from one of the former cable TV companies such as NTL, Telewest, Nynex etc.? Depending on how long you have been at the property, you would probably be aware of this if you had one but there may be/have been a plastic box on the outside wall (typically grey or brown in colour) with the cable coming in from the street (usually from an underground connection point).

The 'Quick Start' kit is usually sent when VM has a record of a past connection of some kind at the property (although let's not underestimate the possibility for VM simply to mess things up and send out the wrong thing).

If not, you'll need the VM forum team to investigate and advise. They should reply within a day or two.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have you ever had a connection in the distant past from one of the former cable TV companies such as NTL, Telewest, Nynex etc.? Depending on how long you have been at the property, you would probably be aware of this if you had one but there may be/have been a plastic box on the outside wall (typically grey or brown in colour) with the cable coming in from the street (usually from an underground connection point).

The 'Quick Start' kit is usually sent when VM has a record of a past connection of some kind at the property (although let's not underestimate the possibility for VM simply to mess things up and send out the wrong thing).

If not, you'll need the VM forum team to investigate and advise. They should reply within a day or two.

Many years ago (about 30) there was a box outside but that got broken and is no longer there. That is why we specifically asked for an engineer to come out and check as we now have a no access to the ground since we have had a car drive built on the whole of the front garden and didn't wanted that dug up so would have not taken up the offer unless it could have been sorted in any other way.

Ironically next doors 'cable' wires are in OUR garden on the outer wall.

Sounds like there are a few geographical and logistical complexities going on here but does explain why you got a 'Quick Start' kit if there was a cable TV connection in the distant past.

I think you will need the VM forum team to go through these with you but might possibly include:

• abandon the idea (if your original cable has gone and been hidden under a driveway) and you want no further installation disruption
  • see if a new cable can be installed to service your property in an acceptable way (but be aware some topics on here detail long delays in getting this done for some unlucky customers)
  • if the cable for next door is functional then it may be possible to tap into that as a temporary measure to get you working on a shared connection (though this is rarely poplar with the customer/neighbour who becomes the cable 'donor'/sharer!)

Is your neighbour actually using the cable connection at present? If not and it is actually on your property it could maybe be used as a connection for you.

In any event, as you had already worked out, you will need a VM technician to investigate and decide what is possible.

One of the VM forum team will reply here within a day or two and will help you.

We have an engineer booked for between 10am an 1pm today but so far no show (seems a standard here from what I read)

The whole VM set up seems terrible as we cant get anyone to speak to on the phone or at least anyone who understands what we want.

We wouldn't want to share with a neighbour and I am sure they wouldn't agree to it anyway.   

Good Afternoon @OldTimer123, can you please provide us with an update on the engineers arrival?

Were they able to attend your property as planned and fix this issue?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

No one turned up at all. My wife has since managed to contact someone who has arranged for an engineer to come to the property and see if they can sort it. We will wait and see.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for the update @OldTimer123, and I'm sorry to hear that the engineer failed to turn up

Do please advise us when the newly arranged engineer arrives and if they're able to have the service fixed for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

My wife managed to find a number that found someone helpful on Virgin, explained the situation and yesterday an engineer and his manager turned up (thinking they were just here to install the kit). Took a look at what needed to be done, find the incoming cable and route a new line from there to our home. They are coming back today (1-6pm) to do that and set the kit up for us. The engineer actually lives just around the corner from us. All being well we should be online with Virgin later today.

Well a total of six workmen arrived yesterday but it took them 5 hours to take the cable from the pavement to the house, attached it to a wall and a box on the front of the house. (The video footage from the security camera makes it an interesting insight into the British Workman) They then left so we still have to wait for someone else to come to connect a media box from the outer box. No idea when anyone will be coming. The people finished yesterday and drove off without saying anything about who or when anyone will be connecting us. It is no way to treat new customers or even existing customers. It always seem to be US having to chase things up and that takes ages too.