Menu
ryantomeley
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

HDMI splitter Cat 6

Have read all previous threads but wondered if someone can give a definitive answer.

I have 2 4K TVs and I am trying to split the picture from V6 box in to the kitchen via approx 15m Cat 6 cable (electrician has run cat5 and 6).

I have purchased some neet Cat 5/6 hdmi splitters but just get no signal, have also tried changing output on V6 box to 1080I bit with no luck

Anybody have any advice much be much appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: HDMI splitter Cat 6

The V6 delivers its picture to the TV by the HDMI cable link - doesn't it ?  The V6 ethernet port is for connecting it to your Hub - isn't it?

https://www.avforums.com/threads/virgin-v6-box-what-4k-splitter.2181767/

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I assume you’re trying to hook the V6 up to 2 TVs  but could you clarify the layout 

i have a now tv box with freeview tuner with a neet hdmi splitter going to both lounge tv and kitchen tv, but both via hdmi (a 10m hdmi to the kitchen in my case)  Its handy for having audio in sync between 2 TVs 

one option would be to do the same with a 4K capable splitter and 15m hdmi lead, but the large head is harder to route through walls etc

so do you have a splitter going to the hdmi over Ethernet extender then to the kitchen ?  You need both Ethernet cables connected to transmit the hdmi signal ?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Super solver
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I suggest that you contact Neet. These HDMI extenders over Ethernet can be tricky to get working, best to use HDMI cables if possible.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@ryantomeley wrote:

Have read all previous threads but wondered if someone can give a definitive answer.

I have 2 4K TVs and I am trying to split the picture from V6 box in to the kitchen via approx 15m Cat 6 cable (electrician has run cat5 and 6).

I have purchased some neet Cat 5/6 hdmi splitters but just get no signal, have also tried changing output on V6 box to 1080I bit with no luck

Anybody have any advice much be much appreciated

Thanks

You say the electrician has run "cat5 and 6", this presents an issue, cat5e (assuming it's cat5e and not the older cat5) is not rated for the bandwidth required for any variant of HDMI, cat6 could manage HDMI 1.0-1.2a but 1.3-1.4b would be pushing the upper rated limits of cat6, neither could manage HDMI 2 or above. So assuming the HDMI to Ethernet adapter isn't working some strange magic the maximum you could hope to get would be HDMI 1.4b allowing for 3840x2160@30Hz, since the V6 box uses HDMI 2 to output 3840x2160@50/60Hz this won't allow for it.

You'll want to find out for sure exactly which cable the electrician ran, however the optimal thing to do would just be to use a HDMI cable, they can manage around 15 meters and allow for the full resolution and framerate the V6 box can output.

0 Kudos
ryantomeley
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I will have to check what cables have been run from the kitchen to the V6 box. It is not really ideal to now run a HDMI as all the cables have been chased in the walls and floorboards when the extension was done.

I might purchase a long HDMI cable just to test but was told these cables would be suitable for the setup I was hoping for.

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I think 2 simultaneous cables will do 1080p up to 30m so  should work if both cables are connected (assume the neet boxes have 2 lan cable sockets at each end - and some need up to 4 lan cables) 

Looks like cables can be 5e or 6

0 Kudos
ryantomeley
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The cables the electrician has run is Cat 5e and Cat 6. (Including a coaxial) 

The neet HDMI extenders I have use both the cat 5 and 6 cables. I have adjusted the video output from the V6 box but just continue to get no signal.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I've just taken a look on Amazon at the Neet network extenders listed, one of them uses dual network cables on both ends and seems to just require 1gbps cables and is HDMI 1.4 rated for 1080p at 30 meters, 1080i at 60 meters. The other is using a single cable and seems to require cat6 so is likely running up to 10gbps, however remains at HDMI 1.4 rated for 1080p.

Unless Neet have offerings elsewhere (considering their website just pointed me to Amazon and didn't even have a product list, I'm not so sure) it looks like you won't be able to run the V6 box at anything above 1080p.

Regarding your issue however, if you have the single cable unit you'll need to ensure the single cable is cat6, if you have the dual cable unit then cat5e would be fine and the issue wouldn't be the type of cable and may be that the cable has broken pairs, or that the extenders are defective.
0 Kudos
ryantomeley
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The extenders I have use 2 cables both cat 5 and 6. I might try the extenders with DVD player to see if I can get that to work, will probably tell me If the problem is with the cable or not.

0 Kudos