cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good FTTP installation experience

poala00
Joining in

I got a leaflet through my door last week offering a free trial of 1gb Internet plus a couple of hundred quid in Amazon Internet to trial Virgins tech for 6 momths. Thought it sounded like a scam, but apparently not. It's the new Virgin FTTP product.

Had a really good installation experience today, couple of guys came out, very friendly , did a nice neat job with the install and then cleaned up after themselves. Also got the Hub 5x which is supposed to be better than the Hub 4 some people get.

I'm not entirely convinced I am getting the full 1gb, even on my ps5 which is wired in, but hey its free and very fast. They advised to keep my Openreach running alongside the Virgin, but if it stays like this I might cancel the Sky Broadband I'm a few weeks time.

What the new customer offers are like in 6 months time will decide if I stay, but there's a lot of negative posts on here about engineers and customer service so just wanted to say it doesn't seem to be all bad.

4 REPLIES 4

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @poala00 

It's good to see a positive post on the forums, although as is their nature the forums are generally filled with people having issues.

You should be able to check the speed to your hub and device using https://samknows.com/realspeed/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

Even on my FTTC I was lucky to see the full speed when downloading things from Playstation, I think the service is limited in some way.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey poala00, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media O2 and the to the community.

I am really happy to hear everything went okay and you are enjoying our services.

Speaking from a personal view anything with the PS5 please try to use the cable connection for it you will see a big difference. 

If you ever need to ask us anything you know where to find us. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Chez92
Up to speed

I'm sure they do all they can to make everything look good for people they're trying to sell products to down the line. Sadly all of the posts you see on here where people have had issues are much closer to reality than what you've experienced.