cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit Hub installation instructions failed

paolo-56
Joining in

Today I received my new Gigabit Hub and am disappointed to find that the installation instructions fail at the very first step.  They say "Look for the cable with the blue band", but both my cables - one to the existing VM Hub and one to the Tivo box - have black bands.  So, which one should I connect it to?  This is rather important as they are at opposite ends of my house.

The instructions also don't contain any functional description of the kit.  So, unlike my current Tivo box, the new V6 box apparently requires both a coaxial connection and an Ethernet or wireless connection to the new Hub, but there's no explanation given for this, nor was I warned that it would be needed.

Would someone be kind enough to explain?  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just take the coax cable out of your existing hub, it should just unscrew, but might be a push fit one, and connect it to you new hub. That’s all that need doing to get a connection. Your WiFi SSID will be a different name, you can either change all your connected devices or go into the settings on the new hub and change the SSID name and password to be the same as your old hub.

Your V6 is best connected by an Ethernet cable, but you can use WiFi if the signal is ok.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just take the coax cable out of your existing hub, it should just unscrew, but might be a push fit one, and connect it to you new hub. That’s all that need doing to get a connection. Your WiFi SSID will be a different name, you can either change all your connected devices or go into the settings on the new hub and change the SSID name and password to be the same as your old hub.

Your V6 is best connected by an Ethernet cable, but you can use WiFi if the signal is ok.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @paolo-56

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues with getting everything sorted with your new hub. 

As a few days have passed since your last post, please could you let me know how things are shaping up? Have you managed to install the new hub? If not we can look at getting an engineer to come and attend.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

paolo-56
Joining in

Thank you for your helpful replies; I'm now up and running! I suppose it's obvious that the new hub should be installed in place of the old one, but simply by leaving out the obvious, the instructions raise doubts. As I said, instead they failed at step 1.

Also, I've established that the V6 box uses its connection to the Hub for software updates, although it's unclear why it can't use its own coax connection for that.

Hi @paolo-56, thanks for your post and further reply.

That's great to hear that you're up and running now! Yes that is true, the V6 connects to the Hub for internet access where the updates come from, as opposed to the coax.

You'll also get access to services like on-demand and apps (netflix etc) through the same way!

I hope this helps and please me know if you need any further help.

Many thanks

Tom_W