Menu
phayter71
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 upgrade

I recently upgraded from m350 to Gig 1 but Virgin didn't change my hub. I'm still using a hub 3. should I automatically upgrade to hub 4 to get the speeds. service still running at 379mbs.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 upgrade

@phayter71 wrote:

I recently upgraded from m350 to Gig 1 but Virgin didn't change my hub. I'm still using a hub 3. should I automatically upgrade to hub 4 to get the speeds. service still running at 379mbs.

The HUB 3 isn't capable of DOCSIS 3.1 so you won't get your full speed.

Why can't they supply a HUB 4?

phayter71
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I queried that with the engineer at the time. He said I wouldn't need it, but he did replace my Hub 3 as apparently it was a refurbished model - I only moved to virgin in July 20!! He didn't inspire me with confidence; when as he was leaving he informed me that I should now get 350mbs. Which I lamented, 'That's what I have already". Not convinced he knew what he was installing, hence the post. JUST WANTED SOMEONE TO CONFIRM MY THEORY.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@phayter71 wrote:

Hi,

I queried that with the engineer at the time. He said I wouldn't need it, but he did replace my Hub 3 as apparently it was a refurbished model - I only moved to virgin in July 20!! He didn't inspire me with confidence; when as he was leaving he informed me that I should now get 350mbs. Which I lamented, 'That's what I have already". Not convinced he knew what he was installing, hence the post. JUST WANTED SOMEONE TO CONFIRM MY THEORY.

To be sure log into the HUB, http://192.168.0.1, and navigate to 'Advanced Settings\Tools\Network Status' and check the configuration tab.

Post the details here if you want us to check.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

afaik upgrading to 1gig should automatically call up a hub4 - tech should have known that and known hub3 will not give 1gig i would have thought

have flagged the thread - wait for VM to have a look

Tony
0 Kudos
phayter71
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Trying to get hold of anyone at Virgin is a bit of a lottery, but ill keep trying.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@phayter71 wrote:

Trying to get hold of anyone at Virgin is a bit of a lottery, but ill keep trying.

Keep trying VM have technical issues on the phone lines today.  Waith here as Tony suggests or call in tomorrow at 08.00 and (if lines are fixed) you should get through quickly

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi phayter71,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you didn't get a hub 4.0 when you upgraded to 1 Gig connection.  

I have checked this our end and can see you do indeed still have a hub 3.0 , so I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

phayter71
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Paul,

Any update?

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I went from VM500 to VM1Gig, and 2 days later my SH4 arrived, 2 hours later. Activated into Modem mode, and getting full Speed.

Well done VM.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?