cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 Cardiff

gerryb
Tuning in

I am told that my area in Cardiff has Gig1 available and am considering a switch from my M200 package.

I would really prefer to leave VM due to the appalling customer service but all the other networks that run over BT cap out at 76MB and i dont even have a phone line.

Does any know if the CF11 postcode offers full fibre-optic direct to the house or whether the Gig1 will be offered over the existing Coax cable from the local cabinet. The speed seems to be advertised the same either way, but i'd prefer to  the former. btw does fibre-optic FTTP from Virgin bypass the local cabinet as that seems to be the source of problems/congestion I've had with them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I never had a BT line either and install was entirely free.

I paid £20 for TV box delivery and £30 for a freeview aerial.  Everything else was no charge.

I just clicked the box that said phone line required.

You might not want to tie yourself into another 18 months of VM, have you checked on Openreach when their full fibre reaches you?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

What does this say for your postcode?

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

It says gfast 350 is available and that BT are the provider. Hower I've rang them and gone through the links to and through the website and in both cases only 76MB package is available. Aslo I dont have a ohysical BT line to the house so I imagine I'd have to pay for that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I never had a BT line either and install was entirely free.

I paid £20 for TV box delivery and £30 for a freeview aerial.  Everything else was no charge.

I just clicked the box that said phone line required.

You might not want to tie yourself into another 18 months of VM, have you checked on Openreach when their full fibre reaches you?

Thanks,

I queried BT and FTTP wont be in my area for some time. I've 5 months on my VM contract so I'll just wait it out and see whats avail in Jan next year.

I no longer need a landline phone and BT now offer phone-free packages which is good, but they still run the internet over a phone line to the house don't they?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gerryb wrote:

Thanks,

I queried BT and FTTP wont be in my area for some time. I've 5 months on my VM contract so I'll just wait it out and see whats avail in Jan next year.

I no longer need a landline phone and BT now offer phone-free packages which is good, but they still run the internet over a phone line to the house don't they?

You're probably best doing that.  Out of contract you have more negotiating power with VM to get either better pricing or leave without penalty.

The cable is ran from the BT Openreach Pole in your street to your house even if it's FTTC or FTTP.

Z92
Trouble shooter

With the amount of companies scrambling to provide FTTP I'd wait until your VM contract runs out before doing anything. I was told that most VM cabinets can't provide FTTP as they only have a coax feed themselves, you need a "distribution" cabinet, as those have incoming fiber. Note however that the fiber still stops at your property, inside the house it's still coax.

VX Fiber have has recently installed in my street, and City Fibre is close by, both offering a ONT inside the house, so I'd definitely wait.