cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 2.4 and 5ghz channels

ExxxyBeast
Tuning in

Hi, just installed the Gig1 router and touch wood, so far all ok.

Just one question, the only wifi that I can see (which I've connected to fine) is the name of the router, there's no 2.4ghz and 5ghz to choose from as there was with the virgin router I have just replaced.

Is this correct, or should I be able to see both channels to choose from?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder
On the Hub 4 - they will be merged into 1 SSID - most devices can switch between this seamlessly!

If you want to split them out -

to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

lotharmat
Community elder
On the Hub 4 - they will be merged into 1 SSID - most devices can switch between this seamlessly!

If you want to split them out -

to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

Wow thanks for the very clear and very fast answer!

So by the sound of it, there's no real point in me doing that if my devices will switch between the best channels required at each point of connecting?

No problem at all! - Glad to be able to help!

The advantages of splitting them out are that some devices (ring doorbells, printers etc) will only work on 2.4 so you *have* to split them.

Also - if you have kids - you can put their devices on the 2.4 band (have separate passwords for each) and keep your devices on the faster 5GHz band (a bit dictatorial but hey - when they pay the bills.... 😉 )

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Be aware most devices will automatically switch between bands, but some will not work at all with both bands on the same SSID. Recently installed some  IoT plug sockets that work only on the 2.4 GHz band and they specifically stated in the instructions to turn off the 5GHz band, although it could be turned on after installation.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2