cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting virgin media

Tom14571
Joining in

Hello,

A couple of years ago virgin media were doing work all over my town laying down cables, and I recently moved to a new property which is one of the ones that has a little virgin media ‘grate’ on the path outside my property.

When I moved in I eagerly rang up as I’ve always wanted Virgin but have never lived somewhere that can get it. However, I’ve since been told my property isn’t serviceable by Virgin, and was told an engineer had been out (but I’ve not been called despite them saying they would contact me once they’d been out), this initial visit was apparently to activate it before I could book another visit to have it installed in the property. I was told it was being looked into by the ‘back office team’, whatever that is? I’ve heard nothing in a month.

What else can I do? Surely the virgin media grate means the property can be serviced by Virgin, or is it just there for a laugh??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Do you know if any of your immediate neighbours are currently using VM services?

What kind of property are you in (flat, house etc.)?

There could be a whole bunch of reasons why you might not be able to get VM services at a particular address or could be VM's circular admin and organisational processes preventing you being connected.

Hi,

Not immediate neighbours, but multiple on my street and I think the closest is 5 doors away. 

I live in a detached bungalow and the ‘grate’ I mentioned is located directly outside the property on the path, not close to neighbouring properties. It is a rectangular plastic cover, black in colour, and has the virgin media logo on it. I assume this is standard with other properties serviced by Virgin?

Thanks for your reply 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

A single property with an access plate outside sounds like it should be serviceable but there could be other 'behind the scenes' reasons why VM won't connect. Reasons which have been mentioned on here in the past have included things like over-utilisation in an area where VM have declined new customers who may not get a good connection or capacity being reached in an individual street cabinet, for example (although neither of those specifically seems likely if VM installed only a few years ago in the area).

Unfortunately there have even been similar topics on here where the next door neighbours of a potential customer have had a working VM connection yet VM have declared the new address unserviceable. Such cases only seem to get resolved when the 'right' VM person turns up to investigate and give a definitive yes or no. Getting the right VM person on site can often be a lengthy process though.

Your post in 'Tech Chatter' is unlikely to get a reply from the VM forum team as they don't usually respond here. Someone on the forum might move the topic to 'Quick Start' where one of the forum team may be able to provide more detailed info about your address. If this topic hasn't been moved over in a day or two, try re-posting in 'Quick Start' to get a reply from the VM forum team.

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Tom14571 

Welcome to the community. I will escalate this for you and see what can be done. Thank you

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi Tom14571 thanks for posting and welcome to our community,

Sorry to hear you're having problems becoming a customer of ours.  Please do reach out to us, if you need us.  I will leave you in the very capable hands of @VM-Jon.

Regards

Lee_R