cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.Network installed FTTH on my street up to my neighbour

parmi
Tuning in

5-6 months ago in my street G.Network did some work to install the optical fiber, but they stopped just before my flat.
After the work I noticed that in front of each house they installed a small black manhole marked G.Network, and the FTTH was available with Virgin Media on the part of the road where the excavation work had been carried out.
But for some reason on the G.Network web site the optical fiber is not available in my street, I guess G.Network has installed the FTTH for Virgin Media.

Anyway G.Network carried out the excavation work up to the crossroads which is located before number 164 (my flat is at 166), I also noticed that from number 164, 166, 168, 170, etc. the G.Network manhole was already present before the works in front of each flat (I guess that's probably why they stopped at number 164).

The problem is that at my flat (166) there is no FTTH service, while at numbers 164 and 168 FTTH is available with Virgin Media, also all the flats across the road (odd numbers) have FTTH with Virgin Media, for some reason the FTTH in my street is available to everyone except numbers 166, 170, 172, 178 and 180

I contacted Virgin Media via chat, they simply said:
"Ah, okay it looks like our Broadband and TV services are not yet available in your area... the best thing for you to do is register your interest by filling out our form through this link:"

I'm wondering if I need to do something to prompt for FTTH to be installed.
Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @parmi 

A member of the Forum Team might be able to request a spotter for you to look into getting a connection.

In the meantime have  you been on the g.network/ website and checked your address?

Also from their FAQ's on the above link

"If you take out our service, we’ll contact you within 48 working hours to book a survey. We’ll also work directly with your landlord, if required, to get permission to install. Then, once we have that permission, we’ll book an installation. The whole process can take a few weeks but after that there is no maintenance or other visits required."

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

AFAIK VM doesn't use G.Network's fibre.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Do you happen to know if there is a way to book an engineer to check if it is possible to install FTTH to my flat?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @parmi 

A member of the Forum Team might be able to request a spotter for you to look into getting a connection.

In the meantime have  you been on the g.network/ website and checked your address?

Also from their FAQ's on the above link

"If you take out our service, we’ll contact you within 48 working hours to book a survey. We’ll also work directly with your landlord, if required, to get permission to install. Then, once we have that permission, we’ll book an installation. The whole process can take a few weeks but after that there is no maintenance or other visits required."

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

See if you can meet one of the G network staff in the street. I spoke to one of their technicians who was installing near here. He showed me a plan of their local network on his laptop, including a projected extension down my road.

The interesting thing is that City Fibre are busy digging from the opposite direction. I'm wondering if they will both lay fibre here or if it will be down to who gets here first. Either way there will be some serious competition for VM. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

parmi
Tuning in

Hi @newapollo, yes, I checked on the G.Network website, no flat on my street has FTTH with G.Network (not even mine), I'll try to contact G.Network via chat.

Hi, @jpeg1, they completed the works 4-5 months ago, there is no worker now.

What surprises me is that FTTH (with Virgin Media) is available for all flats on my street, except for numbers 166, 170, 172, 178 and 180, so it is available for 164 and 168, but not for me (166).

parmi
Tuning in

I just called G.Network, they told me that it will be available in march 2023.
I don't understand why it takes so long, they completed the works in August 2022

Digging in your road is the tip of the iceberg as there's a lot to be done before the operator is ready to get you connected.

--

parmi
Tuning in

Last question.
Under the window overlooking the street, I noticed that there is this Virgin Media box.
I guess it's just for the TV signal?
20221202_133700-min.jpg20221202_133719-min.jpg20221202_133821-min.jpg

The cable carries everything - broadband, TV, VoD, apps, telephone. The cable is already split for broadband and one TV box.

--