cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future upgrade ?

rew1mac
Tuning in

Our house was built in the late 1990s with underground cable trunk laid at time of build.  When we bought the house in 2014 and asked for the VM service, it was easy for two technicians to pull through the cable from the nearest junction box about 200 metres away. 

If we wanted to upgrade in the future, from M100 to something faster, perhaps 1Gb, how much work would be required?  Would the cable need to be replaced? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You won't need a new cable. All current cables can do Gig1 - all you may need is a new Hub as Gig1 and higher needs the Hub 4 (or Hub 5 when that's fully released)
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You won't need a new cable. All current cables can do Gig1 - all you may need is a new Hub as Gig1 and higher needs the Hub 4 (or Hub 5 when that's fully released)
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

If the current cable to our house is adequate for 1Gb service, does anyone know why the local authority has authorised another company to dig up our street to install another network that nobody wants?   

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Any telecoms company with the appropriate OFCOM licence can request local authorities for permission to dig up roads and pavements.  If they have any sense they would check their potential market before investing so much.  Perhaps some of your neighbours are not satisfied with Virginmedia's service?

There are two fibre companies approaching our road. It will be interesting to see who gets here first.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.