cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forward Path Attenuation

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a HUB 3 with a forward Path Attenuator attached to the end of the cable. I had this installed because the cabinet is practically outside my front door. I'm getting the Gig1 (Hub 4) tomorrow, and I'd like to know if I still need the attenuator attached to the new router, as I'm getting conflicting advice. I'm currently on the M500 package, and my download speed is 550Mbps, and my upload speed is around 36Mbps. I was told that the attenuator needs fitting because the download power level was too strong, and my current Hub 3 would fry without it. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will not know until you fit the new Hub and check the levels. Using no attenuator will not fry the Hub, it just won’t work properly. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It won’t “fry” your hub, but it might disrupt your connection if you remove it. Power levels when the cabinet upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 was performed should match the previous power levels, so if you previously needed attenuation you probably still will.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’ve got a 10dB attenuator fitted to my Hub4. A few days ago there was an area fault when the power level went up to 22dB and broadband was still ok, TV box gave pixelated view on some channels. Just refit it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2