cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre optic

tonkertoy
Tuning in

I have just had an upgrade to m350 fibre optic, does this mean VM will run a fibre optic cable into my house to replace the old copper cable.

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

No they won't, the existing copper coax cable is more than capable of running at 350 Mb/s. In reality, the term 'fibre broadband' is a bit vague and tends more to a marketing strategy rather than any technical differences.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Even in VMs "Full Fibre" areas, services revert to coax in the property as all VMs equipment works off of coax, even for the 1Gb services.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

DOCSIS 3.1 over coax can go up to 10G, download and 2G upload.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

VM does not in any case use "copper coax" as although the coaxial cables between the optical nodes and premises have copper coated cores the copper is just for shielding from interference and thus carries no signals.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection