cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre installation at home

Hobson1
Just joined

Hi I'm thinking about getting fibre broadband, interested to hear about people's experience of the installers. I would need the fibre to strung across from the pole to the side of the house then up to the loft, across to other side of building then down the exterior wall and through the wall below floor level then up to where I'd want the all socket. I could do all the prep like lifting floor boards etc before the installers arrive. My question really is whether the installers are accomodating to this sort of thing or will they turn up and say no, it's too difficult of a cable route?  Thanks for any replies

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I might be wrong, but I think VM do not "string" fibre cables overhead. Are you sure that you are in a VM fibre area as a large number of areas use coax to the home. It only fibre to their master street cabinet, no even local ones.

Regardless if it’s either you will have an omnibox on the front of your property and then a coax to you hub(router) and possibly TV box if you have it. Even fibre to your home it’s converted to coax in the omnibox. 
If you install trunking and pull cords the VM technician will use them. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

VM-Alex
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Hobson1 and welcome to the forum. 

Im glad to hear you are considering joining Virgin media. 

Your requirements and the advice you get needs to be very specific to you and your property.

I am happy to take a look at what you want to do and advise on the feasibility. I will pop you a private message if you keep an eye on the envelope in the top corner. 

Thank you 

Alex. 

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Could Hobson1 be thinking about another cable company [CityFibre]?

They run their fibre underground then break out and connect to telegraph poles.

[Other than that I know nothing]