cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install

Jimmyb2506
Joining in

Having fibre installed up to my property.

I would like to move the router from adjacent to the external wall. Can I run a fibre optic cable internally, from a cupboard, to an external location for the engineers to join onto or does the internal cable need to be virgin media coax.

I feel like a fibre optic cable internally will guarantee better speeds as opposed to a coaxial. 

Has anyone done anything similar 

thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All internal VM cabling is coax, even if the feed from the street is fibre, which most of them are not. The coax cabling must be done by VM, it’s against their terms and conditions to alter it yourself.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jimmyb2506 wrote:

Having fibre installed up to my property.

I would like to move the router from adjacent to the external wall. Can I run a fibre optic cable internally, from a cupboard, to an external location for the engineers to join onto or does the internal cable need to be virgin media coax.

I feel like a fibre optic cable internally will guarantee better speeds as opposed to a coaxial. 

Has anyone done anything similar 

thanks

You cannot just directly connect a fibre cable to coax (95% of VMs network is fibre to cabinet). It would require powered converter units to convert coax signals to optical & again to convert back to radio frequency for coax. Nobody will have done this as only kit internal to VMs network is capable of it. Any changes in the wiring would have to be coax throughout.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

A short coaxial cable in your house is not inferior to fibre. You get coax out of the ONT and it's absolutely fine to have a coax run it to an internal termination box in the cupboard (so long as it has a dual 13A power socket, one for powering the ONT, the other for the hub). If you have VM's TV the cable will be split with one leg for the hub and one for the TV box. A VM tech must do do the work.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I had a pre install visit yesterday and the engineer left me some coax to install myself which was great. 

The cupboard I want to put the router/hub in is about 15m from the external entry point of the virgin media box. 

virgin have been installing fibre cables around the area the last month or so, so it has only recently become a service available to me. 

My thinking was run a fibre optic cable from cupboard I want hub/router located to an external wall position and they can splice and join it onto their fibre network. 

I wanted to avoid having any box or joint on the inside of the house back to back with the external virgin box?

im going to run the coax and fibre in together and see what the engineer says when they turn up. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

im going to run the coax and fibre in together and see what the engineer says when they turn up. “

It’s a waste of money to run your own fibre internally. VM will terminate their fibre in the external omnibox and run coax cable internally to where their hub is located.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

As stated above this is what the external install will look like:

Hi @Jimmyb2506 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Your fellow community members have advised you correctly and there's not really anything I can add, sorry.  Please do update us with how things go?

Regards

Lee_R