Menu
woodstar
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Feeding modem from where TV cable comes from

Hi, I’m moving my office around and I have 2 virgin ports in the same room, one for broadband and one is for TV but they are on separate sides of the room. 

Now my computer is going to go in the corner right next to where my virgin TV wire comes from out the wall and I NEED to be hardwired in..I called virgin and they said it would cost £99 for an engineer but I think this is excessive considering there’s already a connection point over on that side for the TV. 

Is there anyway I can achieve this without an engineer? If not I will just scrap/cancel the virgin TV for this room and just swap that connection for my virgin hub. Any suggestions so I can keep both? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Feeding modem from where TV cable comes from

To connect both TV & Broadband from the same point requires a cable standard splitter & two lengths of triple screened cable. These are not commecially available. You also may need signal level adjustments that can only be carried out by a VM tech.

Making your own wiring changes would make you liable should any network disruption result.

So the choice is yours. VM owns the network cable & you want it altered.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
woodstar
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply..So it’s not a good idea to just switch the modem to the cable currently wiring the virgin TV box? 

Am I the only one who thinks this £99 charge is just excessive for the work being carried out? It’s not like I’m needing a whole new connection point putting in. Like you said it’s just a splitter :/ 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Super solver
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The coaxial cable coming into a property is split, and both cables carry the same signals. You can therefore connect your hub to either cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
dnpark38
Well-informed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@woodstar wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks this £99 charge is just excessive for the work being carried out? It’s not like I’m needing a whole new connection point putting in. Like you said it’s just a splitter :/ 

Well it seems what ever work is needed it is £99 so for some work will be a bargain price and for others might seem a lot.  

With Open Reach (BT etc.) it is a lot more their fixed price.

VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@woodstar wrote:

Thanks for the reply..So it’s not a good idea to just switch the modem to the cable currently wiring the virgin TV box? 

If you were putting the TV where the modem is & the modem where the TV is no problem you can just swap. But you are wanting another split in the existing cable to the TV. Just as if you got a plumber or electrician in your would have to pay a callout fee. Your rental only covers you for faults with VM's equiupment.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
woodstar
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Alright thanks for the replies and advice. 

I’ll just cancel my TV. The room in question has one of those crappy last gen Virgin TV boxes that’s slow and horrible to use anyway so I’ll have great satisfaction in removing it. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@woodstar wrote:

I’ll just cancel my TV. The room in question has one of those crappy last gen Virgin TV boxes that’s slow and horrible to use anyway so I’ll have great satisfaction in removing it. 

If you have an out of date TV box you will also have an out of date package & be paying a far higher price than you need too for what you get. A good case for phoning Retentions & getting a package upgrade. You never know, if you butter them up enough they may even make the alterations you want as part of your upgrade.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@woodstar wrote:

Don't forget if you remove the TV box, you will need to terminate the cable end.  If not, you could introduce noise on the line and that's a very bad thing for you and all your neighbours Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Super solver
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Taking out a termination box will cost £99 but the VM technician should do a good job by also removing redundant cabling and replacing the splitter with a barrel connector. He can also check the hub's signal levels.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos