cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing to login into Hitron Business Router admin login

plumbygirl
Tuning in

Hi All,

I had my superhub 3 modem switched to a Hitron one as I moved over to the business platform.

I managed to get into the router setup page (192.168.0.1) and noticed that the time was incorrect (had it down as GMT+1) so I changed that and it said it would have to do a restart which I allowed it to do.

However, once it restarted I can no longer get into the setup page. It just hangs. I did a hard reset returning everything to its defaults (held the reset pin at back of router for 20 seconds) and tried again, no joy!

Strange thing is that I can get on the internet, I can still receive and send emails, but just cant login to the router setup. I tried both wired and wireless connection with the same result.

Am I missing something here or is there a problem?

Many thanks

70 REPLIES 70

Hi Shazbat1

I posted on this thread a couple of years ago...and nothing had changed with the rubbish Hitron Router that is peddled out.

I switched mine to Modem mode after about the 2nd visit by an VM chap. I have a netgear Nighthawk X6 router doing the work now, along with another X6 as an access point at the rear of the property. Additionally I have an old netgear router in the workshop that is another Access point. The nighthawks are pricey but as business assets they are worth it, if for nothing else just being able to access them and make changes feels like a game changer compared to the junk that was there. You don’t have to be an IT pro to fit this stuff, google and you tube have it nailed. I supposed the only advantage I had was I have all the tools to install the cables (I hate powered extenders)

Jonnybb2000,

Uncanny that we both recommended the nighthawk. Solid routers with bags of features 

Thankfully, I have a tame IT guy who is fantastic with networking and steps in on this stuff (I do editing and MS Office stuff for him, so fair exchange). I'll see if I can save up enough to get one of these. Thanks! So long as it doesn't slow anything down, it'll be worth. I merely need a reliable, ACCESSIBLE router so I can get at my research and swap files with editors/cover artists etc. without delay and without needing to reboot the blasted house. Not a big ask, honestly!

Hi Shazbat1

you won’t have any issues with speed, it’s a gaming router at heart so designed for large throughput of data. And the range is pretty decent too. I have VPNs running through mine as well as very large data transfers and it’s solid, most importantly never drops out on Spotify while I’m working 🙂

Oh god.... "Tame IT guy" sounds ominous!! Lol. He'll have you into some Curry's item then! (Joking).

So, hence my questions - & great my man recommended the same - There are massively cheaper options out there. TP-Link items from Novatech.co.uk *might* see ya right. Just depends on what you wanna use of for.

Let us know how ya get on won't you....

John

Avoid TP-Link like the plague, constantly dropping connection

I switched to an Asus AC86U then to an Asus ZenWifi, no problems with either

Do you know what, I would agree with that! The TP-Link are cheap and I recall getting drop outs on my IP Cams until I flashed em with WRT OS. But, you shouldnt have to do that! I'd backup the notion of Asus..... They have always been a good buy. Anyway, I am not sure all this advice is gonna be acted upon so, I'm bugging out.

Just finally to say, "VIRGIN, SORT YOUR RUBBISH, NETGEAR HAND-ME-DOWN, HITRON ROUTER; YOU ARE CAUSING US CONTINOUS PAIN!!!"

Dogbert88 - You are bang on the money with this solution, had this issue for a while now and had to keep factory resetting the router - thank you so much. The router would only go about 1-2 weeks before the web interface fell over, although the router worked fine it could no longer be administered.

To confirm the steps that worked for me:

• Unplug all network cables
  • Plug in single device with ethernet into port 1
  • Pin-hole for under 5 seconds with a paperclip
  • Wait 5-10 mins for reboot (seem to reboot itself a few times)
  • Check UI working
  • Plug all cables back in

For good measure, I've also disabled DFS on the 5G as per aries1980 suggestion to see if it prevents the problem from occurring, as that would be better than the cure.

Ammo999
Joining in

SOLUTION

Try the following:

Unplug all cables

Reboot router using pinhole for 30+ seconds (i did mine for a minute, just to make sure)

When the router shows the 2.4 and 5.0 wifi lights, login to the router using 192.160.0.1 using a wifi device, such as your phone. this worked for me - However you can only change one thing and save it before it crashes out. 

Wait a few minutes and then try the 192.168.0.1 again

If that doesnt work, plug in a ethernet cable to a laptop and try 191.168.0.1, or if that doesnt work, 192.168.100.0.  The latter worked for me.

Sign in again and modify some other settings

This crashed again for me on save. so clear cache in browser, and try 192.168.0.1 again (or 192.168.100.0). This allowed me wired access and i was able to modify some other settings.  I disabled the DFS on the 5G wifi as suggested. not sure if it made a difference -but have left it off.

Each time, try using a different tab/device  (either laptop or mobile) and when it allows you login, you have to force the other user to logout (this is the one that crashed last).

Plug in the rest of your cables

Order a proper router. 

Thank me later

I am utterly astounded that after 4 years Virgin Media Business have refused to do anything about this!

I spent hours on the phone having to go through the same basic steps with call centre agents who barely understand the context of what I am telling them. My knowledge in DNS and networking far exceeds the basic steps we are forced to endure, all whilst paying for the privilege. Paying much more than we would domestically too, for the worthless business SLAs.