cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing to login into Hitron Business Router admin login

plumbygirl
Tuning in

Hi All,

I had my superhub 3 modem switched to a Hitron one as I moved over to the business platform.

I managed to get into the router setup page (192.168.0.1) and noticed that the time was incorrect (had it down as GMT+1) so I changed that and it said it would have to do a restart which I allowed it to do.

However, once it restarted I can no longer get into the setup page. It just hangs. I did a hard reset returning everything to its defaults (held the reset pin at back of router for 20 seconds) and tried again, no joy!

Strange thing is that I can get on the internet, I can still receive and send emails, but just cant login to the router setup. I tried both wired and wireless connection with the same result.

Am I missing something here or is there a problem?

Many thanks

70 REPLIES 70

I've tried. They're not listening there, either. There are a couple of points I've raised over the last few years, and they still haven't addressed them (this, payment methods). Nada.

It's a  firmware issue yet to be resolved. I am a Business BB customer and swap out fixed but, then it started again. Just awful routers unfortunately. 

Just switch to modem mode as soon as you get a session and then all is fixed. I have not had a reason to touch it since doing so some 2yrs ago now.

VIRGIN MEDIA SHOULD GET RID OF THESE ROUTERS AND THATS THE FACT!!

Hi,

I've been a business customer for almost 2 years now. The stability of the Hitron CGNV4-FX4 router is a disgrace. I had the same symptom as many of you: after the initial setup, within minutes, the UI became unresponsive, and only a factory reset helped.

Now, today, I had to spend some time with this piece of instant stroke, because of an other symptom: the router only serves DHCP to IPMI firmwares, if they are directly connected into the router and I needed that for work urgently.

Anyway: my solution to the unresponsive UI is to turn off the DFS in the 5G WIFI mode. Don't ask me how is it related. Give this a try and let me know on https://twitter.com/aries1980 if it helped.

Dogbert88
Joining in

Hi,

I have finally found how to workaround this issue.

The admin console will not resolve when multiple devices are wired into the router.

Remove all the wired Ethernet inputs except the one machine that you are using to connect to the admin console.

It will then connect.

You may need to restart the device and then plug your other Ethernet cables back in.

It's pretty poor that an Engineer (who instantly new what the issue was) had to come around and tell me this and not the phone support.

A pretty poor piece of hardware...

Hope this helps.

> It will then connect.

It didn't do the tick for me. (I had only one device on the wire and 0 on wifi. Even the Virgin Media engineer, who set up the network failed to log in with his laptop after I renamed the wifi network.

Only ever had one machine plugged into mine, so that's not the issue here. They're just terrible routers. I did hear that if you get a second router, switch one (connected to the internet) to modem mode and the other on top for everything else, THEN you can get it to behave, but having only one router I haven't been able to try that one.

Yes, THE ONLY ANSWER is to chance log in and then send it off to Modem Mode land with your own router taking charge of the situation. Crap routers, crap tech support when phoning in, "Have you switched it off and on a again"?!?!?! Grrrrrrr..... The fact that you have to your own router to substitute is an absolute disgrace to be frank.

Without breaking the bank, which router would you recommend to work with the Hitron so it merely takes the incoming and a decent one that works does everything else?

Oh goodness..... You really have asked the question haven't you. So, I run a small internet based business, I did a load of research on this and bought a number of trial routers. It really depends on the following:

1. Your maximum budget

2. What is your fundamental usage

3. What are your WiFi needs or are you ethernet (best) all the way

4. How many ethernet and wifi clients

5. Do you share and transfer large files across your LAN

Answer these and I can give you best answer.

One of the best value allrounder routers with great reviews and proven WiFi performance increases is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TDV2IS4/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_fabc_4Wo4FbNC1SX0K

Honestly, I just want to be able to get in when I have to. I've got a lot of 'smart' stuff running and if I have to reboot every time I need access to the router, I have a house I have to 'reboot' as well, which is tedious in the extreme. I do move some large files (images for the book covers, video interviews, etc) but we're not talking tb here. I'm not good with networks at all and only need to be able to get in, change the password occasionally (don't like to leave it the same indefinitely!) access my system from my laptop when I'm elsewhere so I can work wherever I am, and get whatever files I need. At the moment I can't even get that set up because I CAN'T GET IN! I'm marginally poorer than your average ecumenical rodent. I merely need something that works with the Hitron and allows me to get in and do those things. Not a big ask. You'd think they'd provide a router that would allow that, but noooooo. <sigh>