cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Openreach or Virgin Media?

marky9074
On our wavelength

Hi all,

My install was completed finally on Tuesday, and since then I have had a letter from TalkTalk saying that there had been upgraded in my area and that ~900Mb/s was available. That was odd, as before the install when I checked the (BT/Openreach) line checker said ~60Mb/s was maximum available.

When contractors took up a few blocks of my drive, they showed me the Virgin trunking (which I didn't know existed) and the Openreach trunking. The fibre is blown through the Openreach trunking on my install.

So is Virgin leasing capacity from Openreach on my install, or is it indeed Virgin? I ask as I am trying to make good the old installs twisted pair cable (find a suitable IP67 box - something like the SCP to hide the mess). But if this is Openreach, theoretically I would never need this cabling again (so I could just seal all my holes up).

Hope that makes sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In some areas VM have permission to use Openreach ducting. However, this is the only part that is shared. The fibre connections will still go back to a separate VM cabinet & not to Openreach cabinets or exchanges.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
"Hope that makes sense."

No not really 🙂

Can you post a few photo's with annotations so we can see the cables and the trunking.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

2022-05-20 17.31.18.jpg

On about the third failed attempt to install, the Openreach sub-contractor took up all the blocks and relocated the BT capping (it was previously inline with the holes, and presumably the cable was unprotected underneath the blocks. 

If this is Openreach FTTP then I will disconnect the TP (from the Orange CAT6) and tuck it back down the pipe, then make good that massive hole. I have a cable cover plate coming to tidy the coax up.

Hi @marky9074

Welcome to the community!

To be able to advise properly I would need to get advance from the area field manage who can advise what installation has happened at your property and see what can be done, if anything. Please join me on private message so I can locate the account and pass account security with you so we can discuss the account. You can see your private message at the top of the page in the envelope icon.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In some areas VM have permission to use Openreach ducting. However, this is the only part that is shared. The fibre connections will still go back to a separate VM cabinet & not to Openreach cabinets or exchanges.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Carley,

Will do as soon as I receiver my not so memorable phrase reminder letter....

Cheers,

Mark

marky9074
On our wavelength

Hi there,

Thanks for that. Oh well, perhaps if BT reinstated services they would blow through their own FTTP anyway. Damn strange the coincidental bandwidth increase now showing on the BT checker.

Cheers,

Mark

In VM's FTTP areas a few installations are done using Openreach's poles or ducts. In this case VM ran its fibre to the grey Omni box on the exterior wall of your home using Openreach's ducting, and inside that box is the ONT which does the fibre-coaxial conversion. That same coaxial cable you see gets split with one leg going to a socket inside your home to backpower the ONT.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection