cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External work

mrsean93
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have signed up to Virgin for broadband (used to have it at a previous house) but they need to do external work. My install date is 24th but the external work still hasn't been done.

Should I be worried, I currently have SKY broadband which is also due to finish on the 24th... do i see if they can extend it for a few days?

I phone up and they told me it will be done... i'm just not feeling very confident...

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Read the many, many topics on this forum about delayed installation work and you'll see that no one (including VM) will be able to give you a reliable answer about installation dates or work for external cabling. Any dates you are given are estimates and nothing more and may be subject to change.

Usual advice on here is to try to overlap services if you can and keep your original broadband service going until VM is up and running to your satisfaction. May cost a month or so of a double subscription but avoids being left with no broadband if VM fails to live up to its promises (which is reported frequently on here).

@mrsean93 I believe that the current record for the time between the initial installation date and the date that it was finally installed and working is about 13 months. So yes as @goslow rightly says above, absolutely do not rely on it being done on the specified date, especially once the dreaded ‘external works’ is mentioned!

Can you see if you can’t get your existing provider to move to a rolling one month contact until further notice?

Yes it will cost you more each month but probably worth it to ensure a continuity of service. You might also want to set yourself a time limit, say if VM haven’t managed to install in three months, then you will assume they never will and re contract with Sky.

But do not cancel the VM installation, it’ll either happen or it won’t but if it does, then you immediately cancel within the 14 day cooling off period, but safe in the knowledge that all the cables are in place and working if and when you want to try them again sometime in the future.

mrsean93
On our wavelength

Hi both,

Thanks for your reply. I did see some other posts but wasnt sure if that was mostly due to lockdown over the past 2 years. 

I have asked SKY to extend my broadband for 5 days past my install date and will go from there. Fingers crossed i'm leaving sky becuase its unreliable... but suppose thats better than no internet! 😄

Hi @mrsean93

Thank you for you post and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry for the delay with the installation.

I will reach out to the area manger to see what information I can get for you.

I will pop back to you here once I have an update. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

mrsean93
On our wavelength

Hi All,

Just to let you know it has all been sorted and am now up and running with Virgin.

Excellent news @mrsean93!

Do feel free to come back to us if you require any further assistance

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi @mrsean93

I wanted to pop back to you here as I have taken a look at things from our side and can see this has now been completed.

I am sorry for the delay and for any inconvenience this caused. 

If there is anything else we can help with please let us know and we would be happy to help. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide