cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External connection box disaster

BigChippy
On our wavelength

I am an ultimate volt customer. An engineer called to fit a new 360 mini box last month. Since the installation my tv screens have been buffering and freezing altogether. I was upgraded from 600 mpps to gig1 but my speeds have dropped drastically, on occasions as little as 50mpps. My external box is in an area I seldom pass I was horrified when I saw it the other day, see image below. I spoke to retentions who frankly didn’t understand my complaint, eventually they agreed to send an engineer in about a couple of weeks but it would cost me £25 which they would refund

Is this anyway to leave a job I certainly don’t think so.

My concern is that the poor installation is almost certainly causing my poor speeds, buffering and screen freezing. I am also concerned that it may be a danger to animals should they bite through the thin cabling.

I am hoping that a member of the forum team might be able to assist.

806346DC-CE24-4296-BCEE-123A0B1A8F73.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Roger I can’t find a link to check router status on my Hub4 router. I do understand that the external cabling may not be the answer to my problem but I would like to get it tidied up nonetheless as it is untidy and potentially dangerous, certainly open to tampering.

thanks for your help.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

BigChippy
On our wavelength

I am an ultimate volt customer. An engineer called to fit a new 360 mini box last month. Since the installation my tv screens have been buffering and freezing altogether. I was upgraded from 600 mpps to 1 gig but my speeds have dropped drastically, on occasions as little as 50mpps. My external box is in an area I seldom pass I was horrified when I saw it the other day, see image below. I spoke to retentions who quite frankly didn’t understand my complaint, eventually they agreed to send an engineer in about a couple of weeks but it would cost me £20.

Is this anyway to leave a job I certainly don’t think so.

F2C5F1A7-3CF3-4966-812D-9D70017B1691.jpeg

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You appear to have a grey backplate from a DIY (Amazon/eBay) replacement VM wall box and the brown front cover from an actual VM box (so trying to fit the square peg into the round hole etc.)

One of the VM forum team should be able to arrange a replacement (at no cost).

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looking at the incoming coax and where the splitter is, I can see no way that the splitter could be inside the box. The box needs moving.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi I have two helpful responses to my initial post both saying action is required, problem is I have not had a response from a member of the V M forum team. Can I contact them directly or do I have to wait for them to contact me? Stuart 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately it can take 2 to 3 days for a VM staff member to get to your post, because this is not the primary way of reporting faults. Although in your case it would be best to as offshore customer services do not always understand the problems as they just follow a script.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

You cannot assume that the messy cabling has anything to do with your problem.

Can you post some stats.
Go to 192.168.0.1, log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs as text (not images). Mask any public IP address.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi Roger I can’t find a link to check router status on my Hub4 router. I do understand that the external cabling may not be the answer to my problem but I would like to get it tidied up nonetheless as it is untidy and potentially dangerous, certainly open to tampering.

thanks for your help.

BigChippy
On our wavelength

Thanks for your advice Tudor