cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External cabling re-routing request - 3 months and counting for a cable re-pull

jcort
Tuning in

Where to begin ... well, I'll start by declaring I am a Telewest / VirginMedia customer of 20 years. I though that may have counted for something ... how terribly wrong I was.

So, in preparation for a new, extended driveway, I contacted VirginMedia to have my external cable re-routing at the end of July.

An single engineer turned up a few weeks later declaring it a 2 man job requiring a re-pull, spray painted the revised cable route took some photos and left.

Received and appointment for 27 August

Couple of weeks later a couple of weeks later VM 2 contractors arrived unsolicited - sharp intake of breaths, "dunno why we've been called out mate, we only dig up the highways not peoples driveways". Told them i had an appointment for 27th Aug and off they went. Following day, 4 VM contractors turned up. More sharp intakes of breath, "dunno why we got called, we only dig up the highways". told them I had and appointment for 27th August and off they went. Couple of days later a VM Engineer turned up unsolicited, sharp intake of breath "You need a cable re-pull mate, and that's a 2 man job". No worries, I have an appointment for 27th August, off he went after a quick check with his manager that he shouldn't attempt a quick spliced job - but not before ,lifting the cable out of my tarmac driveway and leaving a trip hazard across the entire drive.

Day before 27th August, appointment rescheduled to 20th September - no explanation

20th September - waited in all day, no show spent 3 hours of phone to various incompetents, various excuses, council permits,etc, etc. Re-booked ofr 7th October. Complaint raised, no response

7th Oct - 2 men in Hi-Viz jackets were caught on my security camera. They had a quick look at the existing cabling jumped in their van before I could even get out of the house. Not even the courtesy to ring the doorbell to explain why they were leaving without doing any work. another 3 hours wasted on phone, complaint raised no response. Visit rescheduled for 21st October

17th October infamous text advising 21st appointment. This time I am prepared as I have the Field Support team number (which I can only ring at 08:00am on the day of installation). I phone my local council confirmed VM had not applied for a permit, nor did they need one for a cable re-pull.

21st October - logged onto my online account at 07:30 to get the reference number and account number prior to my 08:00am call to ensure they had all the right people lined up for todays work - to my surprise the appointment had been rescheduled to 3rd November ... no notification, no apology, nothing. Another several hours later and finally after speaking to disconnections team a helpful chap advised they need council approval and have to do the work on the day the council tell them to. Absolution tosh, spoke to council again. No permit requested, no need for permit

Can anyone help get my nightmare resolve or should i cut loose and move over to BT or Sky as I am at my wits end,. this is the worst customer service experience I have experienced in my entire life ... to add insult to injury my direct debit went out yesterday paying for this installation despite it not being undertaken and with no hope that it will be on 3rd November either.

Help !!!

16 REPLIES 16

Thanks for the update jcort and we're pleased to hear this has been completed and the broadband and television services are now connected.

We've had a look and the landline and it appears that this has been installed also, a colleague has double checked everything and test called the number. Can you confirm if this is the case?

Rob

Robert

The VM engineer could not connect the phone line to the new cable and left it connected to the old cable, advising another engineer would need to come out to connect the phone line. So your tests are correct in that the phone line is working, however NOT on the new cable.

I have heard nothing back from VirginMedia since the engineer left on Thursday and no notification of an appointment for this work

It is not possible this work has been completed without my knowledge as our brown junction box is behind a 6ft high locked gate. Please check and confirm when a VirginMedia Engineer will be connecting our phone line to the new cable pulled last week

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jcort,

Thank you for coming back to us in regards to your ongoing install issues.

I have emailed the area field manager to look into this issue further to see if your landline cable will be connected to the new cable. I will keep you updated on when the Area Field Manager comes back to me with an update.

How is your landline connection at the moment?

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jcort,

The Area Field Manager came back to me about this issue, and they were under the impression that your landline has been connected to the new cable last week. 

However, we are happy to have a technician sent over to your property to look into this.

I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details before we can book this in for you. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. 

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jcort,

Just another update from the Area Field Manager. The check can be done externally, and the technician will not need to have access to your property. 

I will keep you updated further on this once the external check has been complete.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Landline is fine as its still connected to the old cable

I have sent you a private message recommending the Area Manager phones the Engineer who attended last Thursday and provided his mobile phone number just in case the Area Manager has difficulty locating it.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jcort,

Thank you for coming back to me via Private Messages. 

I'm glad to hear that the engineer was able to visit your and resolve your landline issue in the end, and your issue is now resolved.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. 🙂

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team