cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External cable removal

SR2023
Joining in

I have just move into a property that has a green pipe running down the front garden to the brown virgin box on the side of the house. I have no intention of using virgin media in the future and the cabling is interfering with renovation work. Can you please arrange for the cable and box to be removed or am I fine to do this myself and cut this off at my property boundary?

Kind regards

Steve

11 REPLIES 11

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'll find it difficult to get Virgin to remove the cable as it's way down their list of priorities and they would prefer to leave it there for a future resident. Even if someone offers to help it will likely not get to the right staff.

The cable is harmless to you and no harm will happen if you cut it back. There is a slight possibility of a technical issue if the cable hasn't been disconnected inside the street cabinet, but that needn't concern you. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

A small green tube like this would contain an RFoG  fibre.

IMG_1350.JPG

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello SR2023.

Thanks for your post and welcome to our Community.

The external cabling will need to remain in place, I can look at getting this buried for you though,

If you are happy to go ahead with that please let me know.

Gareth_L

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@SR2023 If you do let VM come and move the cable, make sure it's where you are happy with the new route, out of the way of your proposed renovation work. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Gareth_L wrote:

Hello SR2023.

The external cabling will need to remain in place, I can look at getting this buried for you though,

Gareth_L

complete rubbish - since when have the forum team started that line

to the OP - your choice - certainly give VM the chance to remove it if you want but be prepared for nothing to happen other than stupid statements like the one above - the normal forum response is they will pass the request on to the Aera Field Manager - that may result in it being removed or more likely nothing happening as the request will be ignored

so as i said your choice - you can remove it up to the boundary and put in a convenient skip

Tony

Sacked VIP

Tony.
Sacked VIP

spell
Knows their stuff

@Gareth_L wrote:

Hello SR2023.

Gareth_L

Perhaps the OP doesn't want abandoned VM junk to be abandoned on his property. It would be interesting to know on what authority 'The external cabling will need to remain in place' assuming that VM do not own the land. It is totally the decision of the householder. All that is required is a pair of snips and and a handy skip - job done.

We do not typically remove cabling as this can be damaging to our network. We would be happy to contact the Area Field Manager however to see what can be done. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

@Ashleigh_C wrote:

We do not typically remove cabling as this can be damaging to our network. We would be happy to contact the Area Field Manager however to see what can be done. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

you may not remove cabling but that does not stop the OP from doing it - thats his decision VM have no legal right to insist it stays

and sending it to the AFM as you well know but will not comment on has mixed results - that can and very often ignore such requests

Tony.
Sacked VIP

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@-tony- wrote:

@Ashleigh_C wrote:

you may not remove cabling but that does not stop the OP from doing it - thats his decision VM have no legal right to insist it stays

and sending it to the AFM as you well know but will not comment on has mixed results - that can and very often ignore such requests

i will add as i ran out of time to edit that the statement above in bold red from you is complete rubbish - how can YOU removing cabling damage your network?

Tony.
Sacked VIP