cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Work

ht1110
Joining in

I've received a text telling me that external work needs to be carried out before having an engineer out. I know that the work could involve digging up the garden to lay cables. As I live in a block of flats, nothing can be dug without permission from the other flat owners, so I would need to cancel the install.

I've noticed that there is already a brown virginmedia box attached to the block of flats, so would that mean that no digging is required?

I've phoned Virgin media, but no one was able to give me any answers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just to clarify.... What floor level are you on in the block of flats? Also are there other VM customers in the block and where do their cables come from? Often VM install a distribution box in side the block and all internally connected flats come from there.

Otherwise look at the outside omnibox and see where its cable(s) go - it may just be serving 1 or 2 customers on the ground or first floor

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just to clarify.... What floor level are you on in the block of flats? Also are there other VM customers in the block and where do their cables come from? Often VM install a distribution box in side the block and all internally connected flats come from there.

Otherwise look at the outside omnibox and see where its cable(s) go - it may just be serving 1 or 2 customers on the ground or first floor

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm on the second floor. Fom the omnibox outside, there is a cabLe running from the ground to the box and then from the box going to the other flat on the second floor.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Every customer usually has their own omnibox - so garden digging would be required. However they often can piggy back of the neighbours box (my mate was connected in that way) and so that wouldnt necessarily need garden digging. Just a new cable from the omnibox to your flat.

Only issue I can see is that installing above the first floor can be an issue (H&S !) but they do have "heights teams" that can do those.

Bottom line is you will need to wait until the Techs arrive and see what they can do. If they cant do it you will need to find out why and discuss with VM. You will not be charged anything until service is installed and activated - so dont cancel - there is nothing to lose by letting it run its course.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @ht1110,

Welcome to the community page, thanks for posting.

As you have no connection cable outside, the tech that visits would either need to connect you to the neighbours box or need to run a new connection to you.

I hope this helps clear up your question, I can see you have been getting help with this 🙂

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide