Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

External Work

Hello,

I recently agreed to a broadband deal and received a text on Saturday that there needs to be some external work done at the property. Can someone clear up what this 'external work' entails as it is a rental property and I need to inform the letting agency if any actual physical work (e.g. drilling) needs to be done to the property.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: External Work

External work usually means work to Virgin’s network ducting. This would mean digging up the road or pavement which will require permits from the Local Authority. The notice to you is because of the likelihood of delays to your installation.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok so normally no work needs to be done the property itself at this stage?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It depends whether the work has already been done to service a previous occupant. Is there a brown (usually) box on an external wall with cables coming from it and entering your property through a hole drilled in a wall and ending in an internal wall mounted box/socket?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am currently not at the property and have arranged for the installation the day after I move in so I can't really find out. It was my understanding that Virgin would tell me if they need to put up a brown box at the property which would require drilling. Is this external work checking if I have a brown box perhaps?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Its worth checking if you can just so you know what is already there. If its nothing then it will need putting in. Have a look at the neighbours properties - some of them are likely to have had VM installed already - see what their box and cabling looks like and how it routed.

However as already said - if external work is required as well - and that requires council approval - those guys can wade in treacle - it can take weeks or even months for some councils to approve the work before VM can even start their bit!    So if you were planning to move in soon you should try and find out what the work actually is and the projected timescales.

The pre-installation and delivery team may have more info – on.. 0800 052 1734

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok thank you for your help, I'll try and have a look and I'll make sure to give them a ring.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Will12341 

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. 

Sorry to hear that there has been a delay with your install. I've been able to find your account and I can see that you have called in and the team have advised you on the work that needs doing. 

Apologies for the inconvenience, please let us know how it all goes when the tech visits. 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos