cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Work

John_George22
Joining in

I’m a new customer and today I was supposed to have ‘external work’ done before my installation date on the 21st. The guys came at 10am this morning, dug a hole in my garden and left the fibre optic cable on the floor and left without saying anything. Unsure if this is what’s meant to happen or not, just looking for answers, the cable isn’t connected to anything and they were here for no more than 10 minutes 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@John_George22 wrote:

I’m a new customer and today I was supposed to have ‘external work’ done before my installation date on the 21st. The guys came at 10am this morning, dug a hole in my garden and left the fibre optic cable on the floor and left without saying anything. Unsure if this is what’s meant to happen or not, just looking for answers, the cable isn’t connected to anything and they were here for no more than 10 minutes 

The external work is typically completed by VM's sub-contractors. They bring the cable from the street cabinet to your property.

You might expect the cable to be contained in green flexible conduit as it crosses your property. It might be buried, if feasible to do so, or it might be laid on the surface of the ground. Sometimes the cable is clipped to a fence/wall. You might expect the cable to be left coiled in front of the wall of your home.

In the second stage of the installation, a VM tech will bring the equipment for your installation. S/he will fit an external wall box and terminate the cable outside, then run a cable from outside to inside and fit wall boxes inside. Once the equipment is connected, your services should be activated and ready to use.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@John_George22 wrote:

The external work is typically completed by VM's sub-contractors. They bring the cable from the street cabinet to your property.

You might expect the cable to be contained in green flexible conduit as it crosses your property. It might be buried, if feasible to do so, or it might be laid on the surface of the ground. Sometimes the cable is clipped to a fence/wall. You might expect the cable to be left coiled in front of the wall of your home.

In the second stage of the installation, a VM tech will bring the equipment for your installation. S/he will fit an external wall box and terminate the cable outside, then run a cable from outside to inside and fit wall boxes inside. Once the equipment is connected, your services should be activated and ready to use.