cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Hard Drive

DaisyHawkins
Joining in

New to Virgin Media, previously broadband user via BT phone line connection.

I have plugged my existing external hard drive that I was successfully using with my old set up into one of the Ethernet ports on the new VM box. The only device I see on the network, from my PC, is my PC. How do I open up the network? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Where you plug the drive socket should have flashing LED to show it’s active. If not a) possible cable fault b) hub fault. For a) change cable or try reversing it, b) try another port or do a pin hole reset of the hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Bolehill
Dialled in

Check that network discovery is turned on:

In Windows 10 thats Settings - Network and Internet - Advanced Network Settings - Advanced Sharing Settings - Network Discovery

You should then be able to see anything thats connected to the Hub

Thanks. I had already checked and it is on.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Where you plug the drive socket should have flashing LED to show it’s active. If not a) possible cable fault b) hub fault. For a) change cable or try reversing it, b) try another port or do a pin hole reset of the hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks. LED is flashing. I will try a different ethernet slot. What is a "pin hole reset"??

@DaisyHawkins wrote:

Thanks. LED is flashing. I will try a different ethernet slot. What is a "pin hole reset"??

How did you have the drive set up on BT? If you used a fixed IP address, I think the BT hubs may operate on a different IP address range to VM.

Many of these types of drive come with a setup/configuration utility program which should allow you to detect the drive on the network via the program and allow you to set it up on the VM hub.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You do not need to do a pin hole reset, but for clarification it’s pushing a button on the VM hub that resets its configuration and is known to fix the old problem.

Tudor

Thanks. Your suggestion re changing the port worked. I hadn't noticed before that there was no light on at the port, switched to a different one, all lit up and now connected to the external drive ok. I only need 2 ports so can manage without the duff one.