cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Cable Installation

saunders67
Joining in

so, I’m looking for some guidance. Im having fibre broadband installed and virgin have done the external cabling to an external box on the wall of the house.  There is a green cable going in to the box through a black plastic corrugated tube. The concern I have is that the tube just goes from the box in to some soil and no further. As I move the soil and then pull up a bit of turf they embedded the cable in across the front garden, there is no tube and just the green cable literally under an inch from the surface. It looks like they just dug their shovel in to the lawn and lifted the turf enough to drop the cable in and push the lawn down on top of it. Is this right? 

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@saunders67 wrote:

so, I’m looking for some guidance. Im having fibre broadband installed and virgin have done the external cabling to an external box on the wall of the house.  There is a green cable going in to the box through a black plastic corrugated tube. The concern I have is that the tube just goes from the box in to some soil and no further. As I move the soil and then pull up a bit of turf they embedded the cable in across the front garden, there is no tube and just the green cable literally under an inch from the surface. It looks like they just dug their shovel in to the lawn and lifted the turf enough to drop the cable in and push the lawn down on top of it. Is this right? 

Sounds like the green tube is probably the duct for a fibre optic cable. A small cut in a lawn and the duct pushed in would be a common way for VM to install. The likelihood of future damage might depend on just how deep it is buried and what sort of maintenance activities are carried out on the lawn.

Post some photos up if you think there is likely to be a problem. The VM forum team can then review when they get here and refer on if required. They usually reply within a few days.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello saunders67

Thanks for taking the time to raise the recent cable installation query with us via the forums, welcome to the community.

Have you been able to get some pictures for us so we can take a look? If needed and prevent possible future damage or issues we can get this looked into further 🙂

Rob