cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension cable to TV from hub

Rubix
Joining in

Hi all

I'm hopefully about to leave Sky for Virgin and have been checking out the self installation instructions. We currently have VM wired into the house in various locations, but none of those are convenient to the TV. We'll be fine setting up the hub from one of these but I note that the video suggests "no more than 3 metres".

I currently use a satellite extension cable for Sky and wondered if it's possible to use one of these from the hub to the VM TV box? We're in a rented house and the TV is on a middle wall so for both reasons I'm very reluctant to have an engineer move it, if it's even possible.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

2 REPLIES 2

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot use any other cables than the ones supplied by VM, you will break the T&C and possibly introduce noise into your connection and other people on your street cabinet. It's best to opt for a manned install and the technician can either move the existing wall box or provide a longer cable (a longer cable may need the technician to rebalance the circuit at the street cabinet). if you wanted this done after the installation there would be a fee of £25.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi for virgin TV you will need a coaxial cables for the hub as well, which the engineer will supply he or she will run the cable were you want it, ideally your hub being near one of the cable boxes so it could be connected with an ethernet cable
would be better, however if you have a good stable WiFi signal it will work, virgin engineers don't move or install TVs. However they will need to connect an HDMI cable to back of the TV from the boxes. Regards Micky