cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Cable

DanJones93
Joining in

Hi,

Just moved in to a new property, and the cable comes from the opposite side of the room to where we want the Hub/TiVo box. I have had the new stuff delivered which has new cables, but the old owner also left her old cables behind. If I buy a female to female adapter for the cables, will I be able to use the old cables to extend the cable from the wall out, without any change in the performance?

TIA

15 REPLIES 15

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

as long as the cables are all VM supplied then that should be ok - HOWEVER adding or removing cables can affect the input levels - if it takes them out of spec then that would affect the performance - try it and post the levels and you will get comment

alternatively as a new customer any call out should be free afaik if you do it in the first 14 days - that might be 30day [not sure] wait for VM to get to the thread and see what they say - in the mean time no harm in trying the extended cables

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for replying. I’ve had a look and ordered a 5m cable to go from the wall to the splitter, so I will see if that works. Has good reviews and says it’s the same cable Virgin use.

without wishing to be negative thats not the best decision - the only cable that is the same as what VM use is supplied by VM - you may get away with it - you may not - if not and its crap quality there could be problems that you so not see or know about until VM come looking

the best decision is to send it back - wait for VM to get to the thread and book a tech - as said if you are in the first 14 days it should be free

Tony.
Sacked VIP

It’s the exact same cable though, it literally has the same things written on the cable that the Virgin cable we have has?

@DanJones93 wrote:

It’s the exact same cable though, it literally has the same things written on the cable that the Virgin cable we have has?

It's not just the cable, it's the connections on each end.

Could you post a link to the cable you purchased?

Yeah, here it is - 1STec 5m White Virgin Media Gold Plated Male Screw Plug - Removable Female Socket RG6 Digital HDTV Ultrafast Broadband Modem Extension Cable Kit + Installation Clips + Inline Barrel Coupler 5 Metre https://amzn.eu/d/7VX7fDI

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That’s not the same markings as my VM cable and VM do not use gold connectors and that cable is not triple screened.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As Tudor said.... its not VM cable - it is just fake advertising.

When my daughter got some similar rip off cable off Amazon to move her V6 box - she merely succeeded in injecting "noise" into the network and beggering our neighbours connections. Was only discovered when the VM investigating team knocked on our door and asked to see our connections.

They spotted it and changed it to VM cable/connectors and all was well. They also mentioned that she had violated the T&C's and could be chargeable.

Just saying....

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi,

This does concern me, I will send the cable back and ask the team to come out and either extend or move the box for us. 
Thanks everyone for the help.