cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposed cable on street outside house

theonewithtom
Joining in

I have a small issue with my Virgin connection.

The cable is exposed on the street by 8cm (see attached image). This makes any security cameras/video doorbells using the connection very vulnerable. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have looked online for cable covers but found surprisingly little.

Many Thanks

Tom

Exposed Cable Image.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

5th pic down shows an example of a VM cover (assuming that you are wanting VM to fit one for you).

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/how-to-do-this-block-paving.531131/

Also seems to be referred to online as an "elephant's foot" or "BT Connector Bend No.1". Past topics on the forums seem to refer to it as a "dolly".

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

is it dirt or tarmac - one just a bit more difficult than the other to scrape away but can you not do that - just scrape under the cable and press it down and put the dirt back

i take it you have an omnibox on the front of the house - thats much more vulnerable that a few inches of cable that i think most people would not even notice 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@theonewithtom wrote:

I have a small issue with my Virgin connection.

The cable is exposed on the street by 8cm (see attached image). This makes any security cameras/video doorbells using the connection very vulnerable. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have looked online for cable covers but found surprisingly little.

Looks like you need an additional bit of cable protection. Not sure what the proper name for it is but in this topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Wall-cover-replacement/td-p/4661336

a grey BT example is shown. Projects from the wall and over the point where the cable comes out of the ground.

VM do fit their own brown-coloured versions in my area for new installations. Someone else will hopefully know what the proper name is for it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

5th pic down shows an example of a VM cover (assuming that you are wanting VM to fit one for you).

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/how-to-do-this-block-paving.531131/

Also seems to be referred to online as an "elephant's foot" or "BT Connector Bend No.1". Past topics on the forums seem to refer to it as a "dolly".

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @theonewithtom,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

Sorry to see there's an exposed cable on the street outside your house. I can get this raised with the Area Field Manger. 

Will pop you a PM now so we can take down some details. 

Thanks 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @theonewithtom

Ayisha is off for a few days so I have gone ahead and booked this to be re-buried.

You are able to view your appointment, change the times, date & make any amendments via your my virgin media account.

Kind regards,

Zak_M