Menu
Malk11
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet sockets, new build

Hi,

Recently I have moved into a new build home, I have had virgin media installed since the 1st of August, after having services moved from another property.

All my connections are installed downstairs atm, but I do not have space for a computer, so this has to be upstairs, now my home has ethernet sockets, 1 downstairs in the living room near the virgin media connections and also 1 upstairs in the bedroom.

Also I have a small cupboard with 2 ethernet sockets and an Openreach box plus some other telephone connectors and power sockets.

But I cannot get the ethernet sockets to carry a signal, I expect they are dormant, should the virgin media installer not have activated them for me?

All I have atm is a 15 metre cable going up the stairs to my computer which is untidy and not allowing doors to close due to wire thickness.

What can I do to activate the sockets?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet sockets, new build

These sockets, whatever they are, are your responsibility.

I would think in a new build that there should be documentation stating what they are and their topography.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

no, the virgin installer is not there to fix any wiring you have there that isn't related specifically to the virgin install.

your ethernet sockets are down to you to fix.
ethernet sockets alone don't do anything, they only work once you connect them up to a network switch (whcih is what your virgin hub is).

are you sure you are wiring everything up correctly?
have you checked that the ethernet sockets are actually wired up internally? or is it just a blank faceplate?

if they ethernet wiring is faulty then you need to take that up with the house builder, or get in your own networking guy to resolve.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Malk11
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

They are ethernet sockets, I know what they are, as for fixing them, why would I need to fix them? it is a new build home, they are new, I only asked if I need to do something to activate them ect... guess I got the answer.

I am sorry I asked for help!!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

People are trying to help but we do not have access to information which describes what these sockets are.

You should be able to connect an Ethernet cable into the Hub 3.0 and into the nearest Ethernet socket then likewise connect another socket and a device elsewhere and it should work but that depends on how these sockets are all connected together.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you are lucky the developer has installed RJ45 EuroModule face plates wired back to a patch panel in a cupboard which could be under the stairs. If so you just connect the hub to the panel.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

These Ethernet sockets may all go to some cupboard where you link them to a switch and then to the hub?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In other words, you need to find the diagram which describes the components and topology of your Ethernet network.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As a last resort you could try removing the faceplates of the sockets and try to see what direction the Cat5e cable goes. May lead to where they all terminate. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

my guess would be the place you have 2 sockets is designed as the switch location and them 1 goes to the hubs location adn one upstairs. Si try a network cable and connect the 2 next to each other in the cupboard tother and then see if the upstairs and downstairs then work

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos