cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet ports not working

Mjoelmarshall15
Tuning in

We are a group of students, we set our own broadband up in July, and all is well with the WiFi, and whatnot, however the Ethernet ports on the walls don't seem to work. It's definitely not the cables that are faulty, since I've had to resort to using a main-line TP adapter to get a wired connection on my pc, which doesn't support wireless internet. 

Is there any reason as to why the ports on the walls don't work? Are we missing something to make them 'hot' as described by others on other forums. My thinking is maybe we have missed a step or are missing a kit that sets the ports up.

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20

Right, so if the house isn't newly built I think I'm right in assuming there isn't any built in switch in the wall, like my house back home, so if this is the case is it likely that we just don't have one??

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The mystery switch HAS to be connected to the Hub by ethernet cable. Can you trace all the cables coming from the Hub to find where the switch is located. Cable could be buried in the plaster I guess but again it may just be behind/under carpet, floorboards etc. so tracing should be easy

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

We set up the hub ourselves, and so haven't managed to connect to said mystery switch 😕

There is one ethernet port on the same floor as the hub, which is the one pictured in the previous replies. However it doesn't seem to do anything when connected to the hub, my pc is still without internet, as is my housemates if he tries to use his wall port. 

There may be something downstairs in the basement room(which is locked) however I don't remember seeing anything at all that would be a switch last time I was down there. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - all I can suggest is that you contact the landlord and find out what the ethernet ports connect to and where it is and which port needs to be connected to the Hub for it all to work.

Do you know if the previous occupants had the ports working?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Having spoken to the landlords about this before I'm not confident they have any idea on how Ethernet ports work... And we can ask the previous tenants but they were a group of girls who I assume didn't need a wired connection for anything. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I would just accept that they aren't going to work. They may even have been installed years ago before the current landlord owned the property.

If you dont need them thats no problem. If you do need ethernet connectivity then set that up yourself with your own switch wired to the Hub - or a wireless access point that has 4 additional ports - something like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01N47QKDQ/

--------------------
John
--------------------

Yeah I think I may have to just stick with my mainline adapter, thanks!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would take the cover off that Ethernet port on the black wall and see if it is even cabled up? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If there are numerous Ethernet sockets they must be wired back to somewhere, probably a switch that would need a power supply. It likely been hidden away somewhere, like under the stairs or in a cupboard. That what I would search for first.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

What would it look like? I've tried looking everywhere on the ground floor surely it wouldn't be in the basement?