cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet ports not working

Mjoelmarshall15
Tuning in

We are a group of students, we set our own broadband up in July, and all is well with the WiFi, and whatnot, however the Ethernet ports on the walls don't seem to work. It's definitely not the cables that are faulty, since I've had to resort to using a main-line TP adapter to get a wired connection on my pc, which doesn't support wireless internet. 

Is there any reason as to why the ports on the walls don't work? Are we missing something to make them 'hot' as described by others on other forums. My thinking is maybe we have missed a step or are missing a kit that sets the ports up.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I would just accept that they aren't going to work. They may even have been installed years ago before the current landlord owned the property.

If you dont need them thats no problem. If you do need ethernet connectivity then set that up yourself with your own switch wired to the Hub - or a wireless access point that has 4 additional ports - something like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01N47QKDQ/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ethernet ports on the wall are not VM's responsibility. I'll try and help you with your problem. Does the PC work when directly connected to the VM hub? If there a various ports in the wall they must be wired back to a network switch and this in turn is wired into the VM hub. Locate the switch and ensure it is powered on and connected to the VM hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Yeah so the wired connection works with the mainline adapter, so it's just the ports, 

What exactly would the network switch look like? We have tried using the port on the wall with the router, and that didn't work. Does it look different to the usual port??

Cheers,

Marcus

Ah so we don't even have an ethernet port by where the router is, which is kind of confusing because there is both the wall port for the coaxial cable here, aswell as the openreach socket for the previous tenants on BT internet...

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you sure they are ethernet ports you are looking at?  If there is BT they may just be RJ11 phone ports and not RG45 ethernet ports.  Photos would be helpful.

A typical switch with RG45 ports looks like this Switch.jpg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

• IMG_20211113_143539.jpg
  • IMG_20211113_143507.jpg

 Hi, sorry for the poor quality pictures, but these are the only things on the wall, as you can see we have the coaxial port for the VM broadband, and the unused open reach Master socket 5c that was used in the last tenancy for broadband supplied by BT.

We don't even have an ethernet port on the wall, we have them in our rooms however so it confuses me that the coaxial port for the VM broadband was set up here? We are having to run wires all throughout the house and use Tp-links. Is it necessary to have a splitter or would wiring the router into an ethernet port in the wall work?(if we had one)

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the rooms have ethernet ports, they will all terminate (should) to a switch.  A single ethernet cable from the switch should go to the Hub's ethernet port. Finding other peoples networking in houses is quite difficult at times.  A lot of times switches are located in cupboards, under the stairs, etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Oh that's interesting, it's gonna be fun trying to find that!!! It may be hiding near the hub if that's where everything was set up before. One more question, does the switch look like an ethernet port or is it that big box on that picture posted earlier with all the ports on it? 

IMG_20211113_150716.jpg

This has been found on the other side of the room, it's an ethernet port, but doesn't look like the switch in the picture posted earlier, could this be it?

Cheers

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mjoelmarshall15 wrote:

Oh that's interesting, it's gonna be fun trying to find that!!! It may be hiding near the hub if that's where everything was set up before. One more question, does the switch look like an ethernet port or is it that big box on that picture posted earlier with all the ports on it? 

The picture is a switch with 8 ethernet ports.