cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet cables not recognised

sbs5bm1
Tuning in

Hi

weve had our hub for over a year, only using WiFi, no complaints.

just tried connecting an Ethernet cable to use directly with laptop, but no lights come on in the port. The cable that came with install (linked to TiVo box) works in all 4 ports, but any other cable I have tried - no lights, no connection.

appreciate any input that may assist 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What happens if  you use the VM cable in the laptop and another Cat 6a cable into the Tivo?  Does that work ?

You could try a full factory reset on the Hub as below;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
So your laptop is the problem given you said all 4 ports work by your TiVo box

check device manager in windows
---------------------------------------------------------------

No

This happens with multiple cables and multiple computers 

the only time the port at the router is recognising a cable has been plugged in is when the original cable from Virgin is plugged in 

i have cat6 cable and it works with virgin media with multiple computers and with virgin media tv boxs did you push the plugs all the way into the ports

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try this:

Plug the cable that works, both ends, into the hub. The LEDs on both sockets should flash.

Now do the same with the ‘faulty’ cable, report what happens.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What happens if  you use the VM cable in the laptop and another Cat 6a cable into the Tivo?  Does that work ?

You could try a full factory reset on the Hub as below;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks all, appreciate the input

Another cable worked on my laptop, so it must be a couple of bad cables. I wondered if there was a reason why it wouldn’t light up for anything other than the VM cable.

Appears solution is simpler than initially thought

maybe bad cables you can get them without noticing they cheap to get anyway

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @sbs5bm1,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you were having issues with your ethernet cable and your hub. I am however glad that the issue has been resolved with the help of our community. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs