cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet cable too short

niffniff
On our wavelength

I've had to move my hub 3 to get better connection speeds upstairs but the cable is to short. Do VM supply longer cables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There is no restriction at all on ethernet cables.  You can use any you wish. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can buy Ethernet cables from any reputable online retailer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Although I suspect @niffniff is talking about the coax from the wall port to the hub. How long are we talking about here?

niffniff
On our wavelength

No i am not talking about the coaxial cable. I do know the difference between cables. It was an ethernet cable I wanted but didnt want to invalidate my contract by using an unauthorized cable. But if that is not an issue I will replace myself. Thank you.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There is no restriction at all on ethernet cables.  You can use any you wish. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi niffniff, 

Thanks for your post 🙂

It looks as though your first post caused a little confusion as the cable you were talking about wasn't mentioned, only the word 'cable' which in this case can mean one of a few things. 

I'm glad that things were cleared up in the end though and as per jpeg1, there is no restriction on ethernet cables. You are free to buy one of any length. The only thing we would say is to try and ensure it is at least a cat 7 🙂 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

cat7 - come on @Kath_F do you have shares in whoever sells them - cat5e or better will be fine - if the OP wants to buy cat7 then thats their choice - it will add nothing to the connection

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Cat7 is more future proof - just in case the orginal poster wanted to upgrade to 1gig perhaps? if your buying one anyway may as well buy the later standard... price wise there isnt much in it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cat7 is more future proof - just in case the orginal poster wanted to upgrade to 1gig perhaps”, rubbish. Cat5e is fine for 1G, I very much doubt VM will be going to 10G in the near future, in any case even Cat6 would be fine for that.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2