cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equipment Activation Not Working

MM97AFC
Joining in

Hi all, 

My grandmother was recently called by VirginMedia and convinced to order a new 360 TV Box and Hub 3 router. It arrived today and I set everything up for her and all looked fine. The lights on the router were solid green for Wi-fi and solid green for internet (green arrows), and then just the solid white light on the bottom. However internet was not working with the router. I waited 30 minutes as instructed, and the problem remained.

I called the equipment activation line, the pre-recorded voice told me the activation is in progress and to sit tight. After an hour, nothing happened. I dialled again, this time it said sorry there has been a problem activating your equipment, please hold and speak to one of our agents. I could not reach an agent. I thought perhaps the wires were not secure, particularly the white cables requiring a spanner. But when I re-connected the old equipment (so my gran had something to watch!) all equipment - Wifi and TV - worked as normal. So I believe cables are not the issue but could be wrong. I advised her to call in the morning and ask for an engineer. 

Is this a common issue? Anything I could try or may be doing wrong? 

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the old hub work ok then the new one has definitely not been activated as you can only have one active hub on your account. I suggest you try Equipment activation on 0800 953 9500 tomorrow.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MM97AFC

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the issue with activating your Gran's new Virgin Media router - I've not been able to locate the system from the forums details - have you got this sorted since posting? Please let me know if not or need any help.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John, 

Thanks for getting back to me. I am happy to say they are fully set up with new TV & Wi-fi. Suddenly the old equipment stopped working, and I set up the new kit again with success. 

I am wondering if you can give any insight as to why the kit was not activated on the first day it was delivered, set up, and I had called the activation line? Are there common issues which happen with equipment activation which may have happened here? As a matter of feedback, the lines of communication could be much better. The old kit simply cut off, there was no text or email, and no indication the new kit was active, I had to figure it out through trial and error and could not reach an agent on the phone for clarification. 

Thanks again for your response. 

Hey there @MM97AFC, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had faced recently, however I am happy to hear the activation has gone through.
With our systems if there is old equipment on a service address and new equipment is waiting to be installed, the system will cancel off the old one and hold on for the new one until it has been activated.
That's the general rule of thumb, however, there are times when the system does not work accordingly and so our IT team takes over and rectified any technical issues.

Hope this answers the question. Is there anything else I may be able to assist you with whilst I'm still here? Let us know.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs