cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer work outside my house

fazz0062
Joining in

Hi, I requested to get virgin media on the 5/4 and still don’t have it. Engineers were meant to come yesterday to do some work outside my house but never turned up. I called them to find out and they said that as the box it more than 3 meters away from my house they need council permission. Now I’m ok to wait for them to get the permission but my problem is is that virgin media are going to have to cut across the road to get a wire from my house to their box. Now it’s a narrow road which leads in to a cup de sac and if they work there it will stop people getting in and out via car. My question is , is how long would it take them to do the actual work and is it likely they will get permission from the council?

7 REPLIES 7

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi I think this is the least of your worries. Regards Micky

Oh no… why you say that?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@fazz0062 wrote:

Oh no… why you say that?

Have a read through some of the (many) other topics on delayed installations on this forum. Your description has many of the key ingredients for a delayed VM installation (such as a no-show on the day of installation, VM mentioning 'council permission' as a reason for delay, the fact that you mention digging across a road).

You could try this website

https://one.network/

and see if it shows any planned VM activity for your street (it is not a terribly reliable site but might show something)

You should probably also contact your local highway authority and see if VM have actually put in any requests to dig (some past topics have reported VM using this as an excuse for delay but, when the prospective customer has checked, no works applications had been submitted by VM).

Oh really!! Thanks for your help! Ill do some digging around 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
FYI - Re. VM’s recent installation issues - see John’s excellent précis of the situation in message 18 here…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

In addition to the above points, it has been known for VM to decide that a road crossing and road closure is too costly to undertake for feeding just one connection. In which case they call it "not serviceable". 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

**bleep** please don’t say that! I’ve waited for fibre for 9 years and everyone around me is all set up now. Sad times