Menu
AntVM
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Eligibility for delayed install

My installation has been postponed awaiting local authority permission for construction. I have a cable outside my house but the plastic access plate has either been covered up or wasn't installed when the cable was laid. 

I'm lucky that I haven't lost my existing broadband, but I'm now on a rolling month contract with my original provider, which is expensive. 

I've already asked, via private message on another thread, whether I will eventually receive the £5 a day delayed installation compensation that Virgin advertise. I was given a number to call, however no one I spoke to seemed to have a clue what I was talking about. Eventually someone said yes, I would probably be paid it, but I should phone customer services to check. They then gave me the same phone number to call that I'd originally called in the first place. 

I went back to VM via private message on this forum, asked the question again, and was sent a copy & paste of the compensation terms. That said I would be paid if I'd been given a confirmed install date, but not if it was provisional. I then asked which mine was, and I've had no reply to that despite passing account security. 

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if the install date I was given was provisional or confirmed? My order email didn't say it was a provisional date, but equally it doesn't use the word  'confirmed'.

I'm not going to wait for a now-unknown installation date, paying through the nose for broadband from another supplier, if I'm not being compensated for the wait. But I can't get the information I need to make that decision. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Eligibility for delayed install

I cant give you a yes or no.

My guess would be that needing permits etc is "beyond our control" and your install is provisionally dated.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

AntVM
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I received emails for several weeks telling me what my installation date was. I was only told a couple of days before that date that it was postponed. So the constant emails reminding me of my installation date would make me think it wasn't provisional.

But as you say, only VM would know for sure, and they're not telling me. 

0 Kudos
AntVM
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I've received a private response that answered my question. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to post it here so others in the same position can find the answer?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AntVM
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I was told in my case I had a confirmed date. My understanding from the terms and conditions is that the compensation will be applied to my account after the install. It should make up for the extra I'm paying for broadband now. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Excellent!

Thanks for taking the time to update us.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AntVM
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Worryingly, I just logged into my account to look at "track my order" and saw an entirely different order number there, with an install date of "NaN/NaN/NaN".  So it looks as if my original order doesn't exist any more. I don't understand why they haven't kept the same order number, for continuity purposes. And I've had no communication from them since they delayed the original confirmed install date (which was done by phone,not in writing) so I don't know when the original order was deleted and the new one raised. 

Maybe it's an internal thing, but it means my online account doesn't show any of the original details. If I look at "my package" it just shows details of the phone deal, not broadband. 

I should probably post this elsewhere, but I imagine this will make it harder to claim compensation if there's no online record of the original order or install date, and if it looks like it never existed.

0 Kudos
AntVM
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The latest update is that despite being told in writing that I had a confirmed installation date, and despite Virgin's code of conduct saying they will pay £5 a day delayed install compensation if you've been given a confirmed installation date, and despite being told by other staff that it's definitely payable, Virgin have now said they won't pay it. 

If anyone else has had a similar issue it would be helpful to hear about it. I shall be taking it further, either via arbitration or legal action, and will update when I have more news. 

0 Kudos