cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drilling through K Rend

Stefan_S
Joining in

Hello,

I have my installation booked for next week. I live in a newly built property with a K Rend rendering. I've been told that the Virgin installers drill from the inside out. This will likely lead to blowout of the rendering and invalidate the warranty of the K Rend, which I'm keen to avoid. I'm guessing the only alternative is for me to drill the hole in the wall myself?

3 REPLIES 3

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Once you know from a discussion with the pre-install team where the cable will be terminated you can drill from the outside.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

When they did mine a good few years back, and on most installs I've seen they drill inside to out, because judging where an exit hole will be is difficult and the inside position is usually more critical than the outside.  It's a single pass, using a cordless SDS drill set to max, and an 800-1000mm bit.  And you're quite right, this often causes considerable exit blast damage through hard bricks and rendered surfaces.  On my house the exit hole took the face off half of a brick and left a crater about 15-20mm deep, which was (not) stylishly filled with silicone sealant.  Also consider that the normal installation requires a brown "Omnibox" attached to the outside wall, and the cable attached with clips.

Your options as I see it:

1) Drill it yourself - an 8mm hole would be ideal

2) Mark it out with real precision and insist the installer drills outside to in at the exact spot you request.  Bear in mind that whoever drills it, because they'll be using a very long bit, it will "wander", and regardless of the accuracy of measurement, the inside exit hole could be anywhere within about 2-3cm of the intended position.  If you're lucky it will be spot, on but allow for error.

3) Look for an air brick (not very fashionable in new build properties), or consider putting the cable through a door or window frame.  If asking for this, plan the route and be aware that the cable has a minimum bend radius of about 4-5 inches, so tucking neatly into or around 90 degree corners is tricky.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Stefan_S,

Thank you for your post. We're here to help.

If you have any apprehensions or concerns about a certain aspect of the installation, such as drilling, I would advise bringing this up with the installation team as they arrive to carry it out.

They can then advise of what work will be carried out and how, and they can advise of any other options where applicable.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!