cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Virgin use Openreach duct work?

richardmooneyuk
Joining in

I'm currently in the process of getting FTTP installed at my property in south west London. 

I'd originally selected BT, but Openreach engineers have confirmed after a site visit that the duct they use to run fibre from pavement to property is blocked, and therefore it requires a lengthy excavation job to get it installed and activated.

So, what's the likelihood that Virgin would need to use the same duct work to run their own fibre to my property, and would therefore face the same challenges once they've completed a site visit?  Any signs that I could look out for myself to validate one way or another?

Thanks,

Rich

15 REPLIES 15

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there,

probably not. We do use BT ducts in some areas but the volume is VERY low so it’s doubtful . I can check for you, will drop you a private message.

thanks

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Thanks, Jon. Awaiting private message

I am in a similar situation have booked Virgin Broadband into house I am moving to next week all thru the website. Got a call today saying that the cable is on the wrong side of the road and they will have to apply to council to dig road up. I am not only classed as High Risk and Venerable but no face no internet? On top of this the BT duct onto the block drive road where my house and others are they say cannot be used. I have read online that you can use BT ducts so why is this the case? Appreciate your help as I am now panicking

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Trappy2164 wrote:

I am in a similar situation have booked Virgin Broadband into house I am moving to next week all thru the website. Got a call today saying that the cable is on the wrong side of the road and they will have to apply to council to dig road up. I am not only classed as High Risk and Venerable but no face no internet? On top of this the BT duct onto the block drive road where my house and others are they say cannot be used. I have read online that you can use BT ducts so why is this the case? Appreciate your help as I am now panicking

Virgin can only use BT ducts in areas where VM provide full fibre-to-home services. If you are in a fibre-to-cabinet HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial) area, as most existing areas are, the thicker coax cables VM use will not fit in BT ducts & VM have to lay their own ducting.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The BT site states I can receive superfast Fibre 1 thru the existing cable so does that mean the trunking can be used? Sorry not used to all the terminalogy

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Trappy2164 wrote:

The BT site states I can receive superfast Fibre 1 thru the existing cable so does that mean the trunking can be used? Sorry not used to all the terminalogy

BT may be using fibre. But if Virgin is using coaxial cables in the area putting coax into a fibre duct will block it up. BT & Virgin will still have to use seperate cables no matter what duct is used. They are totaly separate networks. BTs cabling goes to their exchanges, VMs to their cable headends.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi - I've just spotted a couple of guys with Virgin Media hi-viz jackets lifting the openreach ducts and measuring and laying cables.  Looks like they were working pretty fast as they've completed our part of the street already.

I'm currently in a street that doesn't have Virgin Media services, while other streets around us do.

Is there a way to check and see if our street is part of the expansion program, and if so, what we'll be able to get and when?

I wanted to go out and ask the guys working with the ducts, but by the time I'd got round to it, they'd moved on!

Thanks.

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Mattnorak, 

I wouldn't be able to tell if you're street is part of the expansion but I do know that we are working to expand our areas, so fingers crossed that does include you. 

Your best bet is to keep checking our website - Frustrating I know, but that will give you the best guidance as to when you should get our services 🙂 

Many thanks, 

Sasha 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide