cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a powered splitter ?

viperuk80
Joining in

Hi there can anyone help me? I have recently moved into a new properly and I have a virgin media connection running inside my garage from outside to the back of the house where the brown box sits on the wall outside of the living room. I have noticed in the garage that it’s plugged into a power adapter. When I opened the brown box I saw there is a powered 4 way splitter.

My question is do I really need a powered splitter? I’m about to have a garage conversion and can do without having to hide away a power cable plugged in. There is also a cable running off that splitter going up there wall to the spare room where another virgin socket sits. I don’t need that and can unscrew.. so can I get away with buying a 2 way splitter and have it unpowered? I don’t have the TiVo only broadband. Or do I have to have it powered. Any help would be much appreciated. 

091B0867-783D-4718-BE56-4FA22141623D.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VM-Alex
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Viperuk,

Powered splitters are a bit redundant these days and it's best not to use them with a modem.

At some point it has been required at the property. Either due to distance from the cabinet or the number of boxes in use at the house. Seen as you are using less boxes hopefully everything will be ok without the powered splitter. 

Have you moved house with your old equipment on a quick start basis? 

I would suggest having a tech install to make sure all open connections are closed off and the signal levels are verified to be within specification. 

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

VM-Alex
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Viperuk,

Powered splitters are a bit redundant these days and it's best not to use them with a modem.

At some point it has been required at the property. Either due to distance from the cabinet or the number of boxes in use at the house. Seen as you are using less boxes hopefully everything will be ok without the powered splitter. 

Have you moved house with your old equipment on a quick start basis? 

I would suggest having a tech install to make sure all open connections are closed off and the signal levels are verified to be within specification. 

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I used the quick start service and then I upgraded and got the new modem. That’s all that’s plugged in now, I get the speed I am meant to get etc but I really want to seal away the cables but not have a  powered 4 way installed. 

viperuk80
Joining in

Good Morning all

Following on from my post from yesterday I am trying to figure out whats what in regards to my virgin installation. I have 2 brown boxes one on front of house and which off of that run 2 cables 1 thin and 1 thick, The cables run round side of house going through the garage along the wall and stops outside my living room wall. wheree there is another brown box (probally just for potection in the garage) inside that there is a powered 4 way splitter. 

My question is I am having a garage conversion done and I want to lose the powered 4 way splitter, The previous tennants before we bought the house had tivo downstairs and upstairs it seems. I now only have broadband and will never have the tivo again in any rooms, So what are the 2 cables coming in for? is the thin one now redundant? is it feeding the dead NTL telephone socket that thats behind that wall? Can i just lose the thin cable? and the split cables going up to second room and just fit a non powered 2 way?  I want to tidy it up so when the garage conversion starts in May i can just leave it all as it is and it can be covered over with the new walls without any worry.

Sorry about the grammar and long winded message.. I hope you can help 🙂 

IMG_1162.jpgIMG_1156.jpgIMG_1160.jpg

viperuk80
Joining in

Good Morning all

Following on from my post from yesterday I am trying to figure out whats what in regards to my virgin installation. I have 2 brown boxes one on front of house and which off of that run 2 cables 1 thin and 1 thick, The cables run round side of house going through the garage along the wall and stops outside my living room wall. wheree there is another brown box (probally just for potection in the garage) inside that there is a powered 4 way splitter. 

My question is I am having a garage conversion done and I want to lose the powered 4 way splitter, The previous tennants before we bought the house had tivo downstairs and upstairs it seems. I now only have broadband and will never have the tivo again in any rooms, So what are the 2 cables coming in for? is the thin one now redundant? is it feeding the dead NTL telephone socket that thats behind that wall? Can i just lose the thin cable? and the split cables going up to second room and just fit a non powered 2 way?  I want to tidy it up so when the garage conversion starts in May i can just leave it all as it is and it can be covered over with the new walls without any worry.

Sorry about the grammar and long winded message.. I hope you can help 

IMG_1162.jpgIMG_1156.jpgIMG_1160.jpgIMG_1161.jpg

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you only have broadband you done need it, that device only allows you to split the signal with no loss, as you dont need to split the signal you can just join the input to the feed to your hub and you will have the same signal you have with the HDU