cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnecting the cable?

JPhone
Joining in

Hey

I'm looking to remove the fibre cable from my hub 4 to hide it away in a cabinet. I just wanted to check if I'm able to unplug, and then plug it in again? I realise this is a stupid question, I'm just worried with it being fibre I'll unplug it and won't have internet for months...

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steve1701
Rising star

Hi JPhone,

I would assume that if you are careful, take your time, remove the cable by holding the connector, not the cable itself, there shouldn't be any issues.

Just don't pull on the cable, if it comes out of the connector you will need an engineer visit to rectify the fault.

🤞

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Steve1701
Rising star

Hi JPhone,

I would assume that if you are careful, take your time, remove the cable by holding the connector, not the cable itself, there shouldn't be any issues.

Just don't pull on the cable, if it comes out of the connector you will need an engineer visit to rectify the fault.

🤞

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Thanks Steve.

It was just a worry that it's the push fit type, so I wasn't even sure you could unplug them once they were on!

I'll give it a go and hopefully it'll be fine.

Thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It not fibre, it’s a copper centre surrounded by a plastic dielectric then mesh and aluminium foil. The connector is crimped onto the cable, it’s strong, you should have no problems.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Quick update for anyone searching for the same answer, it's very simple, as Steve said just hold the connector and be gentle!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's a coaxial cable, not fibre. 

The only problem is that if you leave the incoming cable unterminated it could cause noise pickup that goes back into the street cabinet and might affect your neighbours' signals. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.