cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Virgin Wall Socket

Soph153
Joining in

Hi,

My QuickStart kit has arrived (hub 3) it advised to connect the cable in to the wall socket however my wall socket already has a cable coming out of the bottom right of it with the same end as the cable they want to plug in 

Not sure if I can use this cable instead of the one they supplied or if I’ll need an engineer for a new wall socket?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Soph153 wrote:

I’ve tried taking the cover of the wall box off, unscrewing the existing cable and replacing with the new push one but I’m still getting a green flashing light/no connection when plugged in 

I’ve also tried plugging the existing cable into the hub with no luck 

BBD921F2-5685-47D1-99B7-C61B5C4A2231.jpeg

That is a powered outlet for fibre connections. The cable on the right goes to a plug in power adapter. The connection that goes to the hub is the capped one on the left (see the linked post below). I think these have to be tech fitted if one is not provided in the kit. Your connection won’t work without the wall box power adapter.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/missing-power-plug-for-white-box-on-the-w... 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

stabilo00
Fibre optic
The existing cable will unscrew. New one is probably push fit. Just push it over the screwed connection. If you want to keep existing cable in place use one of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

I’ve tried taking the cover of the wall box off, unscrewing the existing cable and replacing with the new push one but I’m still getting a green flashing light/no connection when plugged in 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like you will need to phone in and activate the Hub, as the "preactivation" does not always work.  It could also be the cable is disconnected in the street cabinet.  VM will be able to advise. Best to ring at 08:00 for shortest queues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Soph153 wrote:

That is a powered outlet for fibre connections. The cable on the right goes to a plug in power adapter. The connection that goes to the hub is the capped one on the left (see the linked post below). I think these have to be tech fitted if one is not provided in the kit. Your connection won’t work without the wall box power adapter.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/missing-power-plug-for-white-box-on-the-w... 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Thankyou very much - I had no idea which bit went where 

I’ll call and ask them to send one over

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Soph153, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the issues setting up your kit, if this is something you still need help sorting out please get back to me via PM (the purple envelope) and we'll be able to assist.

Tom