cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delays with installation?

Daveytn
On our wavelength

Hi guys. 

So just took out a 350 package, went with vrigin as they are the only ones to offer FTTP whereas everyone else is FTTC so I'm limited to 76Mbps via the phone line. 

They have put my installation on hold now, and won't give me a date. They say it's to do with having a shared drive (fine, but no digging is needed), and they also say they are awaiting permission from the council (for what?)

Its my own house, I have a shared access driveway yes, but the infrastructure is already present as both my neighbors have virgin media installed (see photo - I've marked my neighbors houses and the subsequent virgin media installation(s). 

All they need to do is run a new cable from the box in the ground outside my drive to my house in the existing infrastructure that supplies my neighbors. What are they talking about going on about permission etc?! They are currently saying 6-8 weeks!!

Screenshot_20220107_184904_edit_2095574411053676.jpg

71 REPLIES 71

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Read the full compensation scheme details. There is a neat little getout clause at the very end. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Daveytn
On our wavelength

For any delayed installation, we’ll automatically calculate what you’re owed and apply it to your bill, without you having to do a thing!

I'd like to see them wriggle out of their own wording lol

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You missed this bit:

2.  If you require an engineer installation, we’ll arrange the most convenient date. If at the point of placing your order, we’re aware of any additional engineering work required in order to provide the service – such as the premises to our network, it may require third party permissions or permits outside of our control. In which case, we’ll provide a provisional activation date, but we may need to contact you to let you know if we need to confirm a different install date. If we have to change a provisional activation date, this will not trigger a credit under the scheme.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Daveytn
On our wavelength

Says a provisional date, they have given me absolutely no date. When I call about this, the operator always says 'thats odd, there's no date'. 

So there's my ace card. They have failed to provide me an installation date other than the 19th of January, it litterally says 'NaN' 🤷

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That is the provisional date. You may get another date, and then another.  

Or if they decide it's not worth their while to connect you, they can drop you altogether with no compensation at all

See:  https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services

10. We do not have to connect the equipment at your home, or otherwise keep to this agreement to the extent the following affects our ability to do so, if:

1. your home is outside our service area or in a part of our service area where no cable has been laid, or we are unable to activate the services on your line or at your home for any reason;

2. you do not qualify under our current credit policy;

3. you have previously misused our television service;

4. your computer or device (or its operating software) does not work correctly or as reasonably expected for internet access; or

5. it is not practical to carry out the connection for health and safety reasons or for any other reason."   (my bold)

Good luck!

- jpeg1

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Daveytn,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am so sorry for the delay with your installation.

I have reached out to the area field managers for your area, once I have an update I will let you know asap.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Good luck with all that mate. 

I set up my account on the 30th November last year, it's 2 months tomorrow since my original installation date and I don't have broadband. Another appointment today has been put back...

I've found the team helpful, and the mobile team in particular gave me an unlimited mobile dongle that works particularly well. However, the whole process is insanely convoluted and reliance on contractors to do the cable repull is a nightmare. They don't seem to have any way to contact them to hurry up the installation. There are too many departments (who don't speak well to each other) and no means to hold them to account for continuous delays. I've now got so many notes on my account that it takes any operator I speak to about 15 minutes to get through it all. Each person I speak to in the pre-install team sympathises and says I have every right to be furious but there doesn't seem to be anyone management level at hand to really push it through.

I've been able to work from home with the dongle so that's a reasonable relief. However, my partner is on a new rotation at the NHS and is now required to treat patients via video, something the dongle really isn't capable of doing, it's just not quite strong enough. I doubt Virgin will be particularly bothered about that, but the misery and annoyance with it now extends beyond just me!

The whole thing is just a disaster, and I wouldn't bother except for the fact that when the cable is in place it's by far the strongest signal that any company offers in the country. Which is unfortunately what my partner and I require working from home with our programmes.

Franksie9
Tuning in

Hi mate, I have recently had huge issues with Virgin cable pull from the pavement. I left a note on my account for an engineer to call me when he arrived, low and behold he did. He works for Comex (contracting to Virgin) and I have arranged the cable pull and drive dig directly with Comex engineer and his manager, they have been fantastic. 
I spoke to him in the morning, he came back out that afternoon and has carried out first part of the works. 
Try and call Comex or find out the contractor that work for Virgin in your area and give them a call, they will actually know what’s going on unlike VM’s horrendous call centre. 

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Daveytn thanks for your patience.

I am sorry to hear your installation is no further forward.  I will ask my colleague if she has any updates.  If not, we'll chase this up further.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi @Franksie9 thanks for posting

I am sorry to hear of the delay in getting your issues resolved.  And I am pleased that things appear to be moving in the right direction.  I hope things are resolved really soon.  I am sorry to hear of the lengths you had to go to,  to resolve the issue.  I would like to help you raise a complaint.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R